Sun, 09
31 °C
Mon, 10
32 °C
Tue, 11
31 °C

Firefighters called to Magnet Leisure Centre following suspected chemical leak

Firefighters called to Magnet Leisure Centre following suspected chemical leak

Library photo of the Magnet

Firefighters were called to a suspected chemical leak at the Magnet Leisure Centre last night.

Crews from Maidenhead, Windsor and Whitley Wood were called to the scene at about 5.45pm.

When they arrived, they discovered water had been leaking from the pool area into the plant room, endangering stored chemicals and electrics.

Firefighters had to wear breathing apparatus, full PPE and protective suits to investigate the issue.

They stayed on site for more than three hours making the scene safe.

A spokeswoman for the Royal Borough said: “Staff discovered the Magnet Leisure Centre Pool was leaking yesterday afternoon following a routine inspection. Royal Berkshire Fire & Rescue Service were called to assist with removing the water, the police were also called to ascertain if it was caused by criminal activity.

 “We are still working together to understand how this happened. The pool will remain closed for now but we are hopefully the leisure centre will open soon.”

 

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles