Proposals for new 135 home development in West Windsor given the green light

05:37PM, Tuesday 10 October 2023

West Windsor set for new 135 home development as councillors give proposals the green light

The development is planned for an area north of the A308 in Water Oakely

A new 135 home development on land to the west of Windsor has been given the go ahead by councillors.

During a Windsor and Ascot Development Management Committee meeting on Thursday, proposals for the housing scheme north of the A308 in Water Oakley were considered.

The plans, which form part of a wider AL21 allocation for 450 homes in the Borough Local Plan, include a mixture of single homes and apartments, ranging from one-bed to five-bed properties.

A total of 40 per cent of properties are also classed as affordable housing.

Despite criticism from guest speakers and committee members, council officers warned of a ‘need to approve’ developments as the council was under pressure to meet housing targets.

Adrien Waite, assistant director of development for the Royal Borough, said the council needed to meet its five year housing supply commitments which currently only provided for 4.88 years, with this development included.

He said: “If this application were refused tonight, it would reduce our housing supply below that 4.88 position and make things worse for the council.

“We do actually need to approve housing developments and we don’t have an oversupply.”

Project lead for Crest Nicholson, James Merchant, told the meeting: “The development will deliver 135 much needed family homes to the area, supporting the borough’s five year housing plan.

“It will also deliver a high portion of family homes meeting the significant need for this type of accommodation.”

“All elements of the scheme are fully compliant with the latest local and national policies.”

Martin Hall, chairman of the Oakley Green and Fifield Residents’ Association, warned councillors about the prospect of construction vehicles clogging up nearby roads to the development.

Councillors also questioned whether the development would improve the area’s biodiversity.

Councillor Julian Sharpe (Con, Ascot and Sunninghill) said: “It looked to me like the site was an open field, I’m not sure how putting 135 houses on a field can add to biodiversity.”

Similar concerns were voiced by Councillor Carole Da Costa (WWRA, Clewer and Dedworth West) who expressed ‘grave concerns’ for the future of an active badger set on the land as well as criticising ‘out-of-date’ traffic modelling for the A308 area.

Council planning officer Jeffery Ng told the meeting an updated report had found the badger set was instead used by foxes and this had been ‘professionally reviewed’ by RBWM ecological officers.

He added that if badgers were found, a license would be needed to relocate them.

The committee voted in favour of the plans by six votes to three, along with the condition that a construction management plan restricting contractor parking be implemented.

Most read

Top Articles