Mon, 06
16 °C
Tue, 07
18 °C
Wed, 08
21 °C

Slough Town held by Hawks in top of the table clash

Slough Town held by Hawks in top of the table clash

Matt Lench’s (above) solo strike was not enough to give Slough Town victory against Havant and Waterlooville at Arbour Park on Saturday afternoon.

Lench fired the Rebels ahead on the stroke of half time with a confident finish in adverse weather conditions. But Havant equalised just after the hour to remain undefeated away from home this season.

With the wind on their backs, Slough started well and made good use of the long ball to push deep into Havant’s half. It took just seven minutes for the Rebels to have the ball in the back of their visitors’ through Sam Togwell, but fortunately for the Hawks, the defender was judged to be offside.

A minute’s applause was paid to Harry Stock just after, a young Rebels fan who sadly passed away in late January.

Max Worsfold was at the heart of every Slough attack this afternoon and on the 15th minute, he delivered a sumptuous ball for Dan Roberts at the near post whose effort was just struck wide. Worsfold then went close to assisting Togwell, only for him to head his chance at Ross Worner who got down well to palm away.

It took until the 30th minute for Havant to have a chance worthy of troubling the Rebels backline. Bradley Tarbuck received the ball on the left side of the box and picked out Jonah Ayunga at the back post. The number 10 did well to keep the ball alive and nodded it down for Josh Taylor to wriggle free of his marker and audaciously flick the ball wide.

Havant followed that chance up with another opportunity, this time it was Ayunga who directed Kedwell’s cross goalbound only for Turner to be equal to it. Havant rounded off a hattrick of chances on the 40th minute when Fogden came closest to scoring for the Hawks. A mix up at the back allowed him to round Turner but frustratingly lash his shot against the woodwork.

Just five minutes later, Lench made Havant rue that miss when he slotted home a confident finish into Worner’s bottom right corner of his net after being set free on the left wing. For all of the chances in the first half, Lench’s goal was the difference between the two sides at the break.

In a fairly dull second half, the visitors levelled the game on the 65th minute. A Hawks throw in was launched deep into Slough’s box  and found Ayunga who poked home a scrappy finish seemingly against the run of play.

The Hawks carried on to test the Rebels defence with a series of whipped crosses that were punted away only as far as the outside of the box. Substitute Alfie Rutherford came closest to firing in a second for Havant when he met Benny Read’s cross with a fierce effort that just whistled past the woodwork on the 75th minute.

The final moment worthy of note from Slough came when Ben Harris was brought down, in what appeared to be just inside the Hawks’ box. Referee Tom Bishop waved away the cries of both Slough’s players and the home support, and the match was concluded minutes later ensuring points would be shared between the two sides.

The result keeps Slough in second place of the National League South, six points below league leaders Wealdstone who now have a game in hand due to postponement.


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Paid Stories

Most read

Top Ten Articles