Fri, 03
20 °C
Sat, 04
20 °C
Sun, 05
20 °C

Football round-up: Maidenhead United end a winless streak of games with a vital victory against Ebbsfleet United

Football round-up: Maidenhead United end a winless streak of games with a vital victory against Ebbsfleet United

Ryan Upward

Ebbsfleet United 1, Maidenhead United 2 

Ryan Upward headed home a dramatic winner to ensure Maidenhead would end their run of eight games without a win, coming back from behind to beat Ebbsfleet.

The Magpies looked doomed to extend their winless streak after going 1-0 down to the Reds on the 19th minute, gifted from an error at the back. Under pressure from Andre Blackman, Seth Twumasi under-hit his back pass to Chris Dunn and Josh Umerah pounced to slot the ball past the Maids keeper.

But the Magpies were able to make an immediate response, equalising minutes later thanks to Danny Whitehall. The forward lined up a freekick that deflected off the Fleet wall and hit the back of the net. The goal was the striker’s second in a week and seventh of the season. 

Maidenhead dug deep to ensure they travelled back to York Road with a much needed victory and finally got their noses in front with some late pressure. In the 76th minute, Ryan Upward rose highest to flick Josh Smile’s corner past ‘keeper Holmes and secure the Magpies three very crucial points.

The win moves Alan Devonshire’s side up to 16th in the National League. They host Wealdstone next in the FA Cup on October 19.


Marlow 1, Chertsey Town 0 (FA Trophy First Qualifying Round) 

Marlow got a cup run underway with a 1-0 win against Chertsey Town at Oak Tree Road in the first qualifying round of the FA Trophy.

The Blues secured progression into the next round thanks to a penalty from Kelvin Bossman who scored the only goal of the game ten minutes from full time.

Marlow return to league action on Saturday. The Blues sit 12th in the Isthmian South Central Division ahead of the trip to Waltham Abbey.  


Burnham 4, Virginia Water 2

It was a goal-fest at The Gore as Burnham ran out winners against Virginia Water.

Higgs and Berry raced the Blues into a two goal lead ten minutes into the game. Sam Coles was able to add a third but only before Virginia pulled one back shortly after to halve the deficit entering half time.

After the break, Ayres scored the Blues’ fourth of the afternoon with Virginia only able to pull back a late consolation as all points were to be given to Burnham.

Burnham will hope to build upon the win in Tuesday night's fixture against Penn and Tylers Green.


Sandhurst 2, Holyport 2 [5-3 on penalties] (Second round of Berks & Bucks Senior Trophy) 

Holyport crashed out of the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup to Sandhurst in a game of two halves at Bottom Meadow.

Andy Forisky opened the game's scoring in under ten minutes and Fabian Driffill made it 2-0, getting on the scoresheet to mark his eighth goal in four games.

Sandhurst were able to strike back on the 22nd minute and the sides entered halftime at 2-1, Holyport the side in the ascendancy.

However, a much-improved second half performance from Sandhurst rewarded them with an equaliser on the 80th minute to take the game into penalties. The hosts made no mistakes with the spot kicks and came out on top to progress into the next round.

Holyport visit Marlow next for a league fixture on Tuesday. 


Winslow United 3, Marlow United 2 (Second round of Berks & Bucks Senior Trophy)

Marlow United suffered a narrow defeat against Winslow United, exiting the Berks and Bucks tournament on Saturday.

Marlow were hoping to carry over some good league momentum into the tournament but found themselves 2-1 down at half time.

United managed to level the game on the 80th minute but the equaliser was swiftly rendered useless as Winslow put themselves back in front with three minutes to play.

Marlow host near neighbours Holyport, who also exited the cup, on Tuesday evening in the Hellenic League Division One East.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles