07:33PM, Tuesday 26 April 2016
A mother and her four-year-old son needed hospital treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning this afternoon.
Firefighters were called to a home off the Crescent, near Marlow Road, in Maidenhead at about 2pm after the carbon monoxide alarm had started sounding and the pair had begun to feel unwell.
A crew from Maidenhead evacuated the property and gave them oxygen, before paramedics arrived with a breath analyser and took them to hospital. The pair have both since been sent home.
A carbon monoxide monitor was also sent out from Reading, which recorded carbon monoxide levels of between 40 and 80 parts per million in the house. Any level above zero is considered unsafe.
The National Grid was contacted to isolate the gas supply from the house, which was then ventilated.
The gas leak is believed to have come from the boiler.
Speaking afterward, watch manager Chris Havers said: “The moral here is to get a carbon monoxide alarm and if it goes off don’t assume it’s a safety or just ignore it – get out of the house and call the fire brigade.
“Also, if you’ve got anything that burns carbon, get a battery powered carbon monoxide alarm and make sure it’s fitted according to the instructions.
“The final thing is that if you have anything like that, make sure you get them serviced every year and get it done by someone qualified.
“You can’t see carbon monoxide and you can’t smell it, so unless you’ve got a detector you won’t know about it.”
Top Ten Articles
Two men suffered stab wounds - with one in a serious condition in hospital - after an incident of grievous bodily harm in Maidenhead early this morning (Saturday).
A new era is on the horizon for Maidenhead as the state-of-the-art Braywick Leisure Centre opens this weekend, but the move will see the town wave goodbye to a key part of its history after 45 years.