09:34AM, Wednesday 02 May 2012
Developer Shanly Homes has revealed plans for two housing estates in Maidenhead.
It wants to flatten an empty office in Cedars Park and build 33 waterside homes.
It also wants to build 14 family homes on the former Castle Hill Youth and Community Centre site in Boyn Hill.
The waterside site overlooks Moor Cut which is part of the town centre 'ring' which Maidenhead Waterways Restoration Group wants to make navigable for small boats.
A planning application has been submitted to the Royal Borough to demolish the office in Cedars Road and create an estate of 32 three-bed and four-bed houses and one flat.
A previous application by the developer for 34 homes was refused in November last year.
Shanly Homes development manager Nathan Craker said the new design was 'high quality' with 'much needed' family housing.
He added: "We hope the proposals will be well received and this site can play its part in the important regeneration of Maidenhead town centre."
The company is also applying for the second time to develop the empty youth centre in High Town Road.
The facility was relocated to Marlow Road by the council in 2008 and at the time Shanly wanted to build 40 flats there.
It withdrew its application because of concerns from the public over parking and now hopes to be given the nod to build 14 four-bed houses with 36 parking spaces on the site.
If successful it will sign an agreement with the Royal Borough preventing future occupiers applying for on-street parking permits.
Most of the buildings on the site would be knocked down and Heritage Collective and English Heritage are assessing the impact of this.
Shanly Homes group development director Robin Dorran said the new approach was in 'direct response' to neighbours’ previous concerns about traffic and parking.
He added: "We believe the scheme will succeed in creating attractive house designs which will sit comfortably and sensitively within the Conservation Area."
COMMENT: What do you think of the plan? Tell us in the box below.
Top Ten Articles
Members of staff at Wexham Park Hospital have tested positive for coronavirus, and the elderly care ward affected has been closed to new admissions for two weeks.