11:34AM, Wednesday 09 May 2012
Needy families are still going hungry in Maidenhead.
Campaigner Sue Brett is working hard to help the 500 households on the breadline but says there are not enough donations to go round.
The mum-of-four says if supermarkets stepped up and handed over food they usually throw away the problem could be solved.
She has begun lobbying central government to change the law.
"At the moment supermarkets shut their doors and food past its sell by date is deemed as not fit for human consumption and thrown away," she said.
"But a few minutes earlier I could have gone in and bought it and given it to those in need which seems mad."
Last week leading foodbank network, the Trussell Trust, said the number of food parcels it gave out had double in 12 months.
Sue of Cranbrook Drive set up the Maidenhead Foodshare seven months ago and the number of parcels it hands out has gone from five to 35, with 462 given out in total.
But Sue believes at least 15 more families are in desperate need.
She said: "We have had teachers in Maidenhead say children are coming into school hungry."
At the moment the charity relies on public donations but Sue hopes supermarkets will be persuaded to help.
She was disappointed when a food waste bill-aimed at reducing to amount shops throw away failed to complete its passage through Parliament earlier this year.
Sue is now lobbying the bill's originator, by Labour MP for Bristol East Kerry McCarthy, to try again as well as writing to David Cameron.
She is also starting up a breakfast club scheme for the school holidays to hand out food to children who usually get free school meals and a hot meal service for families.
The Good Samaritan started on her mission to feed Maidenhead's needy in 2010 when she set up charity Open Kitchen.
Since then it has dished 2,846 hot meals to the 'hidden homeless' in town and 590 bags of food.
Visit www.openkitchen.org.uk or contact Sue on email@example.com or 01628 623554.
COMMENT: Do you agree with Sue Brett's view about the situation? Tell us below.
Top Ten Articles
Members of staff at Wexham Park Hospital have tested positive for coronavirus, and the elderly care ward affected has been closed to new admissions for two weeks.
Two women who had tested positive for COVID-19 and were being treated at Wexham Park Hospital have died, the trust which runs the hospital confirmed today (Monday).