08:55AM, Thursday 19 April 2012
Under-fire Maidenhead council bosses criticised for introducing a problem-plagued parking system in the Broadway multi-storey say it is finally running smoothly.
The £120,000 pay-as-you-like technology has been dogged by issues since it went live six weeks ago.
It crashed a few days after going live and angry motorists complained they were struggling to use the touchscreens.
Emergency work has now been completed which the Royal Borough says has resolved the issues and it is getting ready to sign off the installation with providers Parkeon.
Head of streetcare and operations Dave Perkins said: "Everything has now settled down and people are getting used to the new system and the number of complaints has dropped off."
The system - which uses number plate recognition technology - was launched with a fanfare on March 5 to replace the unpopular pay-and-display.
Motorists quickly started complaining and said they were difficult to use and after two weeks of operation the council had received 16 written complaints.
The Advertiser's letters page and website were also full of derisory comments.
Two weeks ago council bosses finally admitted there were 'flaws' and called an emergency meeting with Parkeon.
Mr Perkins believes overall the switch-over has gone 'OK'.
He said the changes had been carried out at no extra cost and the system was under warranty if further problems arose.
For the full story see this week's Maidenhead Advertiser.
Top Ten Articles
A teenage girl and two police officers suffered serious injuries this morning (Sunday) in a three-car collision.