01:15AM, Monday 05 March 2012
Firefighters have cordoned off an empty shop in Queen Street in Maidenhead to tackle a fire.
They were called out at about 12.30pm after passersby noticed acrid smoke filling the town centre area.
Black fumes could be seen coming out of the back of the former Higher Level shop which has been shut for months with a 'To Let' sign in the window.
Maidenhead Blue Watch have parked their engine in Queen Street and traffic is down to one lane for a short stretch of the road.
They are using a hose reel to douse the flames.
Taj Hundal from TPS Construction said he had been sub-contracted to refit the shop and was burning some wood in the back garden. He said the fire was 'under control' and the smoke was 'normal'.
Firefighter Kevin Wood said the fumes had been caused by some plastic being put on the bonfire- which they were putting out.
No one has been injured.
Top Ten Articles