Where does my council tax actually go?

George Roberts

Where does my council actually tax go?

Most of us have to pay council tax every year, but where does it actually go? Well, actually quite a lot of places, and it doesn’t only go to the council. Have a read through this guide to see how your hard-earned money is spent.

It is not a flat rate for everyone. The tax is split into eight bands - H is the most expensive, and A is the cheapest. The cost for each band also varies depending on which parish you live in - but that will be explained in more detail later on in this guide.

The lowest cost in the Royal Borough for 2021/22 is £954.28 per year, while the highest is £3,063.31. A band D property in unparished Maidenhead pays £1,465.30

Council services:

The vast majority of council tax is used to pay for council services.

Before the financial year begins, the council calculates how much money it will need to run the many services it provides. Things like adult social care (care homes), children’s services (support for vulnerable families), education (schools), highways (fixing pot holes) are all paid for out of the council’s revenue budget.

In 2021/22, the revenue budget is set as £105.7million. More than three-quarters of this (£79.5million) will be paid for by council tax. Without council tax, the Royal Borough, and councils up and down the country, would be crippled.

While the council does receive income from other places, like car parking fees and grants from central government, these alone are nowhere near enough to keep the local authority running.

Every year the council gets to set how much council tax will be that year. However, there are some caveats. A council can only increase council tax by 1.99 per cent this year. If it wants to increase it any more, the authority must hold a referendum.

Due to the financial difficulties caused by the pandemic and past financial mismanagement, the council leader has lobbied the Government to allow the council to raise council tax beyond the 1.99 per cent cap without having a referendum, but without success.

Adult Social Care precept:

Since 2016/17, councils were allowed to increase the council tax bill beyond the cap if this extra money was used for adult social care. With an ageing population, this additional funding goes some way to helping support vulnerable adults as the demand increases.

This money is used by the Royal Borough to improve the accommodation available to adults with learning disabilities, make more nursing beds available for people with dementia and other complex needs, and help meet the rising costs of care in care homes or in people’s own homes.

This year, the council is allowed to increase the adult social care precept by 3 per cent, on top of a council tax increase of 1.99 per cent. In 2021/22 the council will make £1.3million through the precept. 

Parish councils:

Many households within the Royal Borough also fall into a parish - a small district within the local authority that has its own parish council.

Parish councils are responsible for providing services for their own residents, and this cost is added to the council tax bills of these residents accordingly. These parish councils use the money to maintain allotments, footpaths, parish halls, and also on expenses relating to planning matters.

The cost to residents varies greatly depending on which parish they live in. Those who live in Shottesbrooke, which doesn’t have a parish council, pay nothing at all, while Band D properties in White Waltham have to pay £100.26.

Some areas of Maidenhead, Ascot and Windsor do not fall into a parish, and are considered ‘unparished’. Residents in these areas still pay a fee to contribute to the above services in their areas, the same way a parish charge is made.


Similar to how the council has its revenue budget for the financial year, so do Thames Valley Police. This is dictated by the Police and Crime Commissioner for the Thames Valley, following a public consultation.

Like with the council, a significant amount of the money police receive is paid for by council tax. For the Thames Valley, households in Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire all contribute towards its police force.

The amount paid by each household is again determined by which band they are in. Band A pays £154.19, band D pays £231.28 and band H pays £462.56.

This money will be used to fund police activity over the next year. The PCC has highlighted a number of key areas that will benefit from funding, including neighbourhood policing and PCSOs, setting up a Rural Crime Task Force, County Drugs Lines enforcement and protecting domestic abuse victims.

Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue:

Much like council tax contributes towards the police budget, it does the same for firefighters too. A band A home pays £45.97, band D pays £68.95 and band H £137.90. These figures were determined by the Royal Berkshire Fire Authority following a public consultation in February 2021.

About two thirds of Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue’s £35.8million revenue budget comes from council tax contributions. £30million of the fire service’s budget is spent on employees - hiring new staff and providing pay rises, £4.3million on supplies and services, £2.3million is spent on premises, and £437,000 on ill-health retirement costs and injury awards.

Some of the money is also used in the service’s capital programme, which funds long-term improvements to service delivery. This money is used on enhancing fire stations, investing in IT systems and improving the service’s fleet of vehicles.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles

Crossrail launch: What does it mean for Maidenhead and Slough?

Crossrail is due to launch in central London on Tuesday, but travellers in Maidenhead and Slough will have to wait a bit longer before they join up with the capital. Photo from Transport for London

Crossrail launch: What does it mean for Maidenhead and Slough?

Maidenhead and Slough travellers have long been waiting for the arrival of Crossrail to whisk them quickly into central London.