Sat, 26
13 °C
Sun, 27
15 °C
Mon, 28
17 °C

Maidenhead United maintain 100 per cent start after defeating Bishop's Stortford

Maidenhead United maintain 100 per cent start after defeating Bishop's Stortford

Maidenhead United maintain 100 per cent start after defeating Bishop's Stortford

Sam Barratt

Maidenhead United 4, Bishop's Stortford 1

Maidenhead United supporters will be encouraged to see their side sitting joint top of the National League South this morning after the Magpies dismantled Bishop's Stortford 4-1 at York Road last night.  

A rainbow appeared over the ground during the impressive win, which maintained their 100 per cent start to the season, and this was certainly a pot of gold performance from the Magpies.

United, unchanged from Saturday’s 2-1 win at Eastbourne Borough, took the lead in the eighth minute when Ben Wright converted from the spot after Josh Huggins was fouled in the area. It was the striker’s second penalty goal of the season after netting from the spot on Saturday.

Huggins, a lively presence throughout for the Magpies, nearly doubled their advantage with a cross from the right that former Magpie DeReece Vanderhyde hacked off the goal line in the 32nd minute.

But that crucial second goal did come on the stroke of half-time. Stortford keeper Tom Lovelock fumbled a cross into the path of Jake Reid who gratefully accepted the gift and tapped home for his second of the season.

However, the strike failed to knock the stuffing out of a resilient Stortford who fired themselves back into contention through Elliot Buchanan. The striker’s initial free-kick hit the wall but his follow up flew past Carl Pentney from the edge of the box in the 53rd minute.

Wright passed up a chance to score his second of the game, heading wide from Harry Prtichard’s 58th minute cross. But the home side found an extra gear as the game went on.

The 354-strong crowd were treated to a third goal in the 67th minute when James Mulley was thwarted by Lovelock but the ball squirmed free to Wright who bagged his second of the night.

United’s front-two appear to be working nicely in tandem. In the 73rd minute Reid squared for Wright, but the towering striker ballooned over the bar. Wright then returned the favour for Reid a couple of minutes later but Reid was crowded out by the keeper and shot narrowly wide.

However, if Wright and Reid had made the cake, it was Sam Barratt who supplied the icing when he smashed home an 86th minute free-kick from 30 yards, described as a ‘worldy’ by assistant boss Sam Lock.

There was still time for Alan Massey to clear off the line from Thessalitis but by that stage the Magpies already had the points under lock and key.


Biggleswade Town 5, Slough Town 1

Marlow 1, Banbury United 1

Windsor 1, Bedfont Sports 1

Flackwell Heath 3, Bracknell Town 2

Wantage Town Reserves 2, Holyport 3

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles