Sun, 23
13 °C
Mon, 24
11 °C
Tue, 25
8 °C

Maidenhead United crash out of the FA Trophy to lower league Halesowen Town

FOOTBALL 132320-13

Maidenhead United FC v Wrexham AFC York Road, Maidenhead.

Danny Whitehall fired the Magpies ahead in the first half


Maidenhead United 1, Halesowen Town 3

Maidenhead United crashed out of the FA Trophy this evening after Halesowen Town – a side playing three divisions below them in the football pyramid – came from behind at half-time to deservedly beat them 3-1.

The Magpies looked to have one foot in the third round when Danny Whitehall slammed home the impressive James Akintunde’s low cross in the 15th minute.

And they really should have added to that lead before and after the half-time interval before the Yeltz began their stunning fight-back.

Whitehall clipped the post with a low shot from another Akintunde centre in the 39th minute while Shamir Fenelon passed up a gilt-edged opportunity to all but book their passage to the next round when he rolled the ball just wide of the post after a swift Magpies counter in the 55th minute minute.

Other half chances came and went for the Magpies in between times, but the visitors finally showed their hand in the 59th minute when Simeon Cobourne’s free-kick clattered off Fred Chapman’s post after taking a slight deflection.

The visitors sensed the Magpies might not be right at it in the second half and they were right. Their equaliser followed minutes later when Paul McCone rose highest in a crowded area to head home Cobourne’s free-kick. Chapman flapped at the cross somewhat but he was given little protection from his defence.

The tie was then turned on its head in the 65th minute when the Magpies partially cleared a cross only for Robert Evans to thump a low volley into the bottom corner from the edge of the area. Chapman had no chance and the Magpies were now reeling.

Robbie Bunn belted the crossbar from a free-kick around 35 yards out with 15 minutes to play as the Yeltz continued to carve out the game’s better chances.

The Magpies response to falling behind was limited and lacklustre, although Halesowen keeper Bunn preserved his side’s lead with a fantastic finger-tip save to keep out Substitute Ryan Upward’s rising shot with around 12 minutes to play.

That was about all Maidenhead had to give, with Akintunde now a shadow of the player who was tearing strips off the Halesowen right-back in the first half. He wasn’t the only one who retreated into their shell in the second half, however, and it came as little surprise when a fine cross from the right was headed into the net at the far post by substitute McKauley Manning to make it 3-1 with five minutes to play.

United crashed out of the cup to cries of ‘useless’ at the final whistle and the management team will have a hell of a job on their hands to raise the players for Saturday’s crunch National League test against Eastleigh at York Road.


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Paid Stories

Most read

Top Ten Articles