Thu, 28
21 °C
Fri, 29
22 °C
Sat, 30
23 °C

Football round-up: Two sent off as Maidenhead United go down fighting at Harrogate Town

Daniel Darlington

Football round-up: Two sent off as Maidenhead United go down fighting at Harrogate Town

Josh Kelly was sent off in the final minutes of Maidenhead's defeat. 


Harrogate Town 1, Maidenhead United 0

Maidenhead United produced another committed display as they lost narrowly at promotion chasers Harrogate Town this afternoon. 

The Magpies have been back to their hardworking selves in recent matches and contributed plenty to this contest, but Connor Hall bundled home the game's only goal in the 59th minute. 

The visitors afternoon then went from bad to worse as first Rene Steer and then Josh Kelly were sent off in the final 10 minutes. 

The Magpies went close on a couple of occasions, with Joe Ellul forcing a fine save from keeper James Belshaw in the 40th minute, and Jake Cassidy seeing his dipping volley in the 71st minute also saved by the Harrogate stopper. 

Reflecting on the result, assistant boss Ryan Peters said: "Boys gave us everything and more today, unfortunately we slipped up once and were punished. 

"Nevertheless, regardless of some incredibly strange decisions that were out of our control, we fought defiantly. 

"Thank you again for the support at the game."

The Magpies remain five points above the drop zone, but fourth from bottom AFC Fylde, who weren't in action today due to FA Cup commitments, have two games in hand on them. 

United travel to Halesowen Town in the second round of the FA Trophy next Saturday (January 11) before getting back to league action at Halifax Town on January 18. 


Marlow 2, FC Romania 1

Marlow FC scored twice in the final 20 minutes as they came from behind to beat FC Romania at Oak Tree Road. 

The Blues trailed 1-0 at the break to a goal from Lawrence Nzuruba in the seventh minute, but, following the introduction of Kameron English for Kwai Marsh-Brown, they turned the match in their favour. 

They levelled matters through an own goal in the 74th minute before Adam Richards netted an 89th minute winner. 

Mark Bartley's side remain 14th but close the gap on the sides above them in the Isthmian South Central League. They visit second placed Hanwell Town next Saturday. 


Reading City 1, Flackwell Heath 1

Flackwell Heath conceded a late goal as they were held to a 1-1 draw away at Reading City in the Hellenic League Premier Division. 

They had taken the lead in the 38th minute through Khalid Simmo's impressive free-kick from 25 yards out. 

The 12th placed side are next set to play away at Windsor on January 14. 


Ardley United 3, Windsor 3

Windsor were denied a second straight league win by a 91st minute equaliser at Ardley United. 

James turned the ball home to make it 3-3 in added on time after goals from Kalinauskas, Horscroft and Bajja had made it 3-2 in the second half. 

Windsor, level on points with rivals Flackwell, host Westfields in the league next Saturday. 


Burnham 4, Brackley Town Saints 1

Burnham made a terrific start to the new decade as they ran out 4-1 winners over Brackley Town Saints at The Gore.

Coles, Chniba, Rohart-Brown and James netted the goals in a dominant home display which lifts the side back up to fourth in the Premier Division, skipping above rivals Brackley in the process.

The Blues are next in league action at Easington Sports next Saturday.


Holyport 1, Wokingham & Emmbrook 1

In Hellenic League Division 1 East Holyport were held to a 1-1 draw at home by Wokingham & Emmbrook.

Port took the lead in the opening stages before being pegged back from the penalty spot in the 36th minute.

Neither side really deserved to win it in the second half and Holyport had to see out the final 10 minutes with only 10 men after Jack Woodbridge was given his marching orders.

Port remain fourth ahead of their home clash with Chalvey Sports on Tuesday.


Didcot Town Development 1, Marlow United 1

In the same division Marlow United drew 1-1 away at Didcot Town Development. James Pritchard's side took the lead through Liam Bushay in the fourth minute.

They go to Kidlington Development in the Floodlit Cup on Tuesday.


Reading 2, Blackpool 2 (FA Cup)

Reading FC remain in the hat for the fourth round of the FA Cup after coming from behind twice to draw 2-2 with Blackpool FC.

Sam Baldock and Danny Loader scored to take the tie to a replay at Bloomfield Road.  

The Royals are back in Championship action at home to Nottingham Forest next Saturday. 

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles