Wed, 08
21 °C
Thu, 09
21 °C
Fri, 10
23 °C

Football round-up: Lench on target as Slough Town leave it late to beat Braintree

Daniel Darlington

Football round-up: Lench on target as Slough Town leave it late to beat Braintree

Slough Town 1, Braintree 0

Matt Lench left it late to score the winner as Slough Town beat Braintree Town at Arbour Park to move back up to second in National League South. 

The Rebels dominated the game in terms of chances but looked to be heading for their second successive goalless draw on home turf when Lench tapped home the rebound after Johnson parried substitute Francis Amartey's shot in the 82nd minute.

Slough should have been out of sight long before then but passed up a series of chances to take the lead. It was one-way traffic from the hosts in the first half, with Ben Harris going close from a Max Worsfold corner, his header flying narrowly wide in the 35th minute. Johnson, the Braintree keeper half a good half, denying Mark Nisbet in the 45th minute to ensure the match remained goalless. 

The Rebels came within inches of the lead in the 48th minute when Ben Harris robbed the defender and ran through on goal but hit the post. Warren Harris should have made it 1-0 in the 81st minute but headed over the bar from close range. 

Slough fans didn't have long to regret the miss as they took the lead moments later. Amartey's shot was parried into the midfielder's path and Lench couldn't miss. 

Scott Davies was awarded the sponsor's man of the match afterwards. The win moves them back up to second and within four points of leaders Wealdstone who drew 0-0 with Bath City this afternoon. 

Slough Town visit Havant & Waterlooville in a rearranged tie on Wednesday evening. The original game last month was postponed in the latter stages due to a waterlogged pitch with the home side leading 2-0.


Marlow 1, Hertford Town 0

Nnamdi Nwachuku scored on his debut as Marlow got back to winning ways after a run of successive draws. 

The striker scored the side's all important goal in the 72nd minute.

It moves the side up to 12th and to within eight points of the play-offs - the Blues' stated target this season - ahead of next weekend's trip to Northwood. 

Full report to follow....


Flackwell Heath 2, Longlevens 2

Flackwell Heath failed to hold onto a second half lead given to them by Khalid Simmo as they were held to a 2-2 draw by Longlevens at Wilks Park. 

John rose well to nod the Heathens level in the 32nd minute before Simmo beat two players and fired home in the 59th minute to make it 2-1. 

However, Longlevens levelled out of nothing when the referee allowed play to continue after what looked like a foul on a Flackwell player and the visitors kept their composure to run through and score with 10 minutes to play. 

The Heathens also had a couple of penalty shouts that weren't given to add to their feelings of frustration at the end of 90 minutes. 

It was a game which saw Leius Sinclair make his 50th appearance for the club.

The result leaves the Heathens 11th in the table. They visit Fairford Town next weekend. 


Windsor 2, Tuffley Rovers 2

Billy Montague and Danny Horscroft were on target in Windsor's 2-2 home draw with Tuffley Rovers. 

Both sides had chances in an entertaining game but the Royalists will feel slightly disappointed they couldn't hold onto their 2-1 half-time lead. 

Mark Pritchett scored twice for the visitors, his second a fine left-footed strike from distance which gave Trinovas no chance in the 65th minute. 

Windsor are 14th in the Hellenic Premier Division table after today's result. They host Burnham in the Floodlit Cup on Tuesday night. 


Reading 2, Birmingham City 3

Birmingham City scored twice in the second half to edge a scrappy affair at the Madejski Stadium this afternoon and ensure the Royals continue to look nervously over their shoulders. 

City took the lead thanks to an own goal from Michael Morrison before the Ivorian Yakou Meite stooped to head home an inswinging corner from Pele. 

The Royals then fell behind to a fine free-kick from Jeremie Bela before Gimenez calmly passed the ball into the net to make it 3-1 after Morrison had blocked. 

Joao lunged in to turn home a late second for the home side but it was too little, too late for the Royals. 

The result leaves Reading in 18th place, five points above the drop zone, ahead of their trip to Barnsley on Wednesday night. 


Wycombe Wanderers didn't play this afternoon but Gareth Ainsworth's side continue to lead the League 1 table by four points from Ipswich Town. 

Town were held to a 1-1 draw by Coventry City this afternoon. 

The Chairboys are next in action at home to Burton Albion on Saturday, December 14. 


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Paid Stories

Most read

Top Ten Articles