Sat, 04
20 °C
Sun, 05
19 °C
Mon, 06
19 °C

Football round-up: Marlow FC back on track with victory over Waltham Abbey

Daniel Darlington

FOOTBALL 131724-11

Marlow vs BarkingMarlow FC, Oak Tree Road, Marlow.

Waltham Abbey 0, Marlow FC 2

With players returning from injury Marlow FC look to be back on course in the Isthmian League South Central Division following today's 2-0 win at Waltham Abbey.

Kelvin Bossman had already fired the Blues ahead when Billy Holland was sent off for the home side in the ninth minute.

Mark Bartley's side took full advantage, wrapping up all three points with Kwai Marsh-Brown's goal in the 90th minute.

Today's win lifts the Blues to 12th in the table ahead of their trip to Hanwell in the Velocity Trophy on Tuesday. Next Saturday they host Sholing in the FA Trophy at Oak Tree Road.


Flackwell Heath 2, Virginia Water 1 (Challenge Cup)

Flackwell Heath are through to the next round of the Challenge Cup after a scrappy, yet satisfying, 2-1 win over Virginia Water at Wilks Park.

The Heathens had to come from behind to progress after falling behind in only the second minute to a fine finish at the back post.

But the home side soon levelled things up through Burrell's 17th minute finish after fine work to whip in the cross from Marcus Ushiro-Lumb. The Heathens then edged in front from the penalty spot before half-time, Sinclair coolly slotting home the spot kick. And, despite sin bins and sendings off in the second half - with Flackwell's Bailey ordered off - the home side made it through to the next round.

The Heathens host Binfield in the Floodlit Cup on Tuesday night.


Brackley Town Saints 3, Windsor FC 2

Three goals in quick succession saw Windsor FC fall to a league defeat at Brackley Town Saints this afternoon.

Mark Cooper's side led 1-0 at the break thanks to Dylan Ive's 12th minute penalty, but Knight came to Brackley's rescue, netting in the 47th, 56th and 58th minutes to completely turn the game on its head.

Apart from that 10 minute spell Windsor were probably the better team and, although Andy Ingram netted with a late header, they left themselves with too much to do in the closing stages.

Windsor will go again in the league at Reading City on Monday night. They're seventh after today's result.


Binfield 4, Burnham 2 (League Cup)

Binfield scored three times in the final 20 minutes to spoil Burnham FC's good week.

The Blues - who'd scored four times in each of their last two matches - took the lead in the 19th minute, but the Moles were quickly back on terms and that's how it remained until half-time.

It all started to go wrong for Paul Shone's side from the 70th minute onwards. An own goal was followed by a Sean Moore penalty, his second of the game. And, although Burnham did pull one back in the 80th minute, Moore completed his hat-trick to see Binfield through in the League Cup.

Burnham, 17th in the table, visit Ardley United in the league on Tuesday night.


Wycome Wanderers 1, Sunderland 0

Wycombe Wanderers kept up their promotion hunt in League 1 with a huge 1-0 win over Sunderland in front of a packed out Adams Park.

The game's only goal came midway through the first half when Darius Charles nipped in front of Adebayo Akinfenwa and Sunderland's Luke O'Nien to volley home from a free-kick. Akinfenwa had a chance to seal it in the closing stages but nodded wide from Joe Jacobson's free-kick, while Allsop tipped McGeady's shot from distance onto the bar in stoppage-time to prevent Sunderland from stealing a point.

Afterwards manager Gareth Ainsworth said: "There was a lot of hype around the game. But I told the boys it's no different to any other. Do what you do. The spirit on and off the pitch was amazing.

"We deserved the win. Sunderland had one real chance where Rocky (Allsop) has made a fantastic save. The magnitude of the win and the performance is phenomenal."

Wycombe stay second in the table but move to within a point of leaders Ipswich Town who go to Accrington Stanley tomorrow (Sunday). The Chairboys are next in action at Rotherham United on Saturday (October 26).


Reading 1, Preston North End 0

Reading picked up three crucial points in manager Mark Bowen's first match in charge with Matt Miazga sealing the points with a strike in the dying moments.

Bowen's first game in the dug out looked to be headed for a stalemate at the Madejski when the defender fired home a brilliant winner.

There was nothing to split the sides at the break, however the Royals created the lion's share of the chances.

The win lifts Reading out of the relegation places up to 19th ahead of Tuesday's trip to Queens Park Rangers.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles