Football round-up: Maidenhead United beaten on the road at Barrow but Slough Town continue fine run with victory over Dartford

Daniel Darlington

Football round-up: Maidenhead United beaten on the road at Barrow but Slough Town continue fine run with victory over Dartford

Barrow 2, Maidenhead United 0

Maidenhead United's poor recent run of form continued as they were beaten 2-0 on one of their longest road trips of the season. 

United's away form had underpinned their positive start to the campaign, but results - particularly wins - have proved difficult to come by in recent weeks in what's turning out to be an incredibly competitive National League season. 

Alan Devonshire's men played well by all accounts in Tuesday's 2-1 defeat to Dover Athletic at York Road, but this proved a another disappointing afternoon after a lively opening from the visitors. 

James Comley threatened Barrow with an 11th minute free kick but the ball dropped kindly for the keeper, Dixon, who gathered under pressure. Aron Davies then tried his luck from distance in the 26th minute but it flew just off target. 

Jake Cassidy hasn't scored for a few matches but he came close during the middle stages of the first half, just failing to convert Seth Twumasi's teasing 31st minute cross. 

John Rooney was denied a goal by a brilliant Taye Ashby-Hammond stop in the 32nd minute, but the Barrow striker made no mistake a few minutes later when the home side were awarded a penalty, sending the United keeper the wrong way to make it 1-0. 

The Magpies' hopes of taking something from this long trip north were then dashed when Quigley doubled Barrow's advantage in the 57th minute. 

The visitors created a few late chances, with Josh Kelly going close with a chip and Danny Whitehall blasting a shot at goal which Dixon got down well to, but it wasn't to be. 

Maidenhead host second placed Halifax Town in the league next Saturday. They've dropped five places to 14th after today's defeat. 


Dartford 2, Slough Town 3

Slough Town came from two goals down to beat Dartford 3-2 away from home this afternoon. 

The victory was good enough to lift the Rebels up to sixth in the National League South table on 21 points. 

Having fallen two goals behind to strikes from Sheringham and Hill in the 34th and 36th minutes, Dan Roberts netted before the break to give the visitors some momentum and a foothold in the game. 

Roberts fired home from a tight angle in the 38th minute, capping a period of three goals in six minutes. 

The Rebels stepped up their efforts after the break, with George Wells firing over from just outside the area and Warren Harris seeing his header cleared off the line. But the equaliser did materialise in the 63rd minute when Matt Lench finished off a fine team move to make it 2-2. 

They then won the match when substitute Ben Harris - only just on as a substitute for Roberts - stooped low to head Max Worsfold's cross into the back of the net in the 78th minute. 

Afterwards joint manager Neil Baker said: "Brilliant win today. Two down and showed great character away from home to win 3-2. Just have to keep getting those points on the board, safe journey back to Rebels fans who were great again."

Slough are next in league action at home to Billericay Town on Saturday, October 12


Burnham 2, Windsor 0

Burnham claimed a deserved 2-0 win over league rivals Windsor to advance in the Challenge Cup this afternoon. 

Having missed an earlier penalty, Burnham took a 43rd minute lead through Coles with a great curling strike on his birthday. 

Aiden Higgs then made sure of the Blues progression with a fine finish to make it 2-0 in the 57th minute. 

Burnham go to Bishops Cleeve in the Hellenic Premier Division on Saturday with Windsor also on the road at Royal Wootton Bassett Town. 


Abingdon United 0, Flackwell Heath 2

A solid performance, and a clean sheet, helped Flackwell Heath beat Abingdon United to advance in the Challenge Cup. 

The visitors took the lead after only four minutes when McIntosh fired home on his debut after the keeper's punch had fallen kindly to him. 

They doubled their lead when Mo Ceesay rose well to head home James Burrell's corner on the half-hour. 

More chances came and went for Marcus Richardson's men in the second half but a fine defensive display ensured they were never really in any trouble. 

Flackwell are back in cup action at home to Shrivenham in the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup on October 8.


Swansea City 1, Reading 1

A late rocket from Andrew Yiadom earned Reading a 1-1 draw at Swansea City and presented the hosts going top of the Championship table. 

Ninety minutes were on the clock when Lucas Joao slipped the ball into the path of Yiadom who powered the ball home with the outside of his foot from distance. 

Swansea, who'd seen title challengers West Brom go top thanks to their win at QPR, took the lead through their first attack of the game through Borja Baston's glancing header in the third minute. 

The Royals sit just a few points outside the relegation zone in 20th position ahead of Tuesday's home game with Fulham. 


Rochdale 0, Wycombe Wanderers 3

Fred Onyedinma scored twice as Wycombe Wanderers kept up their League 1 promotion challenge with a 3-0 win at Rochdale. 

Rochdale, who'd played brilliantly in taking Manchester United to a penalty shoot out in the League Cup in midweek, were blown away by an impressive away display by Gareth Ainsworth's side. 

They took the lead when Onyedinma nipped into the box and fired home from a tight angle in the 16th minute. The second arrived just before the half thanks to the head of Adebayo Akinfenwa, who rose highest in the area to nod the ball past a despairing Robert Sanchez. 

They then made it three in the 77th minute when Parker's effort comes back off the crossbar and fell kindly for Onyedinma to tuck the ball home.

The Chairboys are second in League 1, just a couple of points behind leaders Ipswich ahead of next Saturday's home match with eighth placed Peterborough United. 

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles