Tue, 23
32 °C
Wed, 24
29 °C
Thu, 25
35 °C

Football round-up: Maidenhead United go down to Young's second half strike at Wrexham AFC

Daniel Darlington

FOOTBALL 130841-4

Maidenhead United FC vs Solihull Moors.Maidenhead United FC, York Road, Maidenhead.

Sam Nombe, pictured last week against Solihull, had a decent first half chance at Wrexham AFC.

Wrexham AFC 1, Maidenhead United 0

A solitary second half strike from Luke Young denied Maidenhead United a share of the points against Wrexham this afternoon.

As it was last week against Solihull, Maidenhead played pretty well defensively but Wrexham always had a measure of control and that counted in the 65th minute.

Their nine-hour goal drought came to an end when a low ball into the box was pushed out by Carl Pentney for Young to stab home the rebound

The closest the Magpies came in the first half was when Seth Twumasi’s cross picked out Sam Nombe, but the onloan striker wasn’t quite able to turn the ball home.

The hosts began to build up a head of steam after the break, with Rekeil Pyke and Paul Rutherford steering efforts just wide of the post, but they were rewarded for their patience when Young tucked home from close range to earn a scrappy win for the Dragons.

The Magpies remain in 20th position after today’s matches but are now just a point above the relegation zone after Chesterfield’s goalless draw with Barrow.

The Magpies are next in action at home to Dagenham & Redbridge on Saturday. They then welcome Boreham Wood to York Road the following weekend. The management team will feel points must be picked up from those matches if they’re to get out of trouble this season.


Weston-super-Mare 2, Slough Town 0

Slough Town drop down two places in National League South after a frustrating afternoon in North Somerset.

The Rebels had the chances to put the game to bed in the first half but didn’t take them before conceding twice in the early stages of the second half. 

Jacob Cane finished off a swift counter-attack to make it 1-0 in the 48th minute and the league’s bottom side doubled their advantage three minutes when Jackson kept his cool to beat Jack Turner in a one-on-one.

Chris Flood had an effort cleared off the line as the Rebels attempted to muster a response but it just wasn’t their day. It might have been had Ben Harris taken a couple of first half chances. Twice he was denied by Weston’s keeper Luke Purnell.

The Rebels sit 12th in the table, five points off the play-off places, ahead of Tuesday’s visit to sixth-placed Billericay Town.

After the game joint manager Neil Baker tweeted: “A tale of two halves once again. Should have won the game in the first half and then seconds after almost going in front we go behind for what is without doubt the poorest goal we will give away this season. An opportunity missed for sure. Gutted.”


Hanwell Town 0, Marlow 6

A thumping 6-0 win over Hanwell Town as moved the Blues up to second in Bostik League South Central Division.

James Clark managed the only goal of the game in last weekend’s 1-0 win over Bedfont Sports, and he popped up with the opener in the 30th minute.

From that moment there was no containing Mark Bartley’s men. Devontae Romeo fired home a second in the 37th minute, and the patched-up visitors fired in five more without reply after the interval.

Clark netted his second in the 54th minute before completing his hat-trick from the penalty spot to make it 4-0. Defenders Chris Ovenden and Adam Richards then finished off the rout with goals in the 68th and 74th minutes.

Next up for the Blues is their Berks & Bucks Senior Cup quarter-final at home to League 1 Milton Keynes Dons on Wednesday, 7.45pm kick-off. They’re then back at Oak Tree Road on Saturday (February 2) to take on promotion rivals Cheshunt.


Ascot United 1, Flackwell Heath 3

Marcos Ushiro-Lumb scored a capped off a wonderful win for Flackwell Heath with a wonder strike at the Racecourse Ground.

His 76th minute strike, described as a ‘worldy’ on twitter, made it 3-1 to Marcus Richardson’s men.

In truth the Heathens should have been home and hosed a long time before that. Josh Baines scored direct from a corner to make it 1-0 in the 12th minute before Sinclair tapped home their second, after Anydike-Thompson’s effort had been palmed away in the 23rd minute.

Kassim Luqman pulled one back for the home side in the 55th minute but Flackwell continued to create the game’s better chances. They were awarded a penalty in the 75th minute which Lee Allen saved before finishing Ascot off just a minute later.

Flackwell are seventh in the table ahead of Wednesday’s Supplementary Cup tie at Brackley Town Saints. They’re next in league action at home to Wantage Town next Saturday.


Wantage Town 2, Windsor 0

Windsor weren’t able to match their performance from midweek against Brackley Town Saints as they went down 2-0 at title challenging Wantage Town.

Mick Woodham’s men never really recovered from conceding in the first minute, Dunmall scoring for the hosts.

The Royalists dominated possession but created very little and, having made a poor start to the first half, they did the same in the second when Sadler scored from Dunmall’s assist after 48 minutes.

Windsor sit 13th in the table ahead of next Saturday’s FA Vase fifth round tie at Biggleswade FC.


Malmesbury Victoria 4, Holyport 0

Holyport crashed out of the Supplementary Cup at Malmesbury Victoria this afternoon, losing 4-0.

The hosts netted three times in the first half to all but book their place in the next round.

Sam Parker netted their third just before half-time and Josh Hughes their fourth with nine minutes to play.

Port are in cup action again on Tuesday when they host Thame Rangers in the Floodlit Cup.


Wycombe Wanderers 1, Plymouth Argyle 0

Yann Songo’o’s own goal gave the Chairboys another precious three points against Plymouth Argyle at Adams Park.

The only goal of the game arrived in the 25th minute when Songo’o headed into his own net under pressure from Adebayo Akinfenwa. ‘The Beast’ has been directly involved in six goals in his last six league games against Plymouth.   

He had the chance to finish off the visitors when he was played through in the 54th minute but the Argyle keeper got just enough of a touch on his shot to keep the ball out.

Afterwards manager Gareth Ainsworth said: “We were dominant in the first half. We set up with a specific plan which worked out really well. We could have been two or three goals up. Plymouth came back strongly but we defended resolutely. I’m really proud.”

Victory lifts Wycombe to ninth in the table, just seven points off the play-off places, however, Ainsworth stressed afterwards that survival was still the first target.

They next travel to Blackpool on Tuesday night.


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Recent

Most read

Top Ten Articles