Thu, 26
7 °C
Fri, 27
6 °C
Sat, 28
10 °C

Football round-up: Windsor FC march on in the FA Vase while 10-man Slough Town slip up at leaders Torquay United

Daniel Darlington

WINDSOR 130782-5

Windsor FC v Virginia Water FC - Photo: Emma Sheppard 26/12/18

AFC Uckfield 1, Windsor 4

Dan Roberts netted a hat-trick as Windsor booked their place in the fifth round of the FA Vase at the expense of Uckfield. 

Uckfield had hammered Sutton Common Rovers 5-2 in the last round, so there was little chance of the Royalists taking them lightly. 

And once again Windsor saved their best form for this competition, following Mick Woodham's game plan to the letter to claim a richly deserved cup win. 

They got off to a perfect start when Roberts fired them in front from Kieran Knight's assist in the second minute. Roberts doubled their advantage just after the 10th minute. Uckfield pulled a goal back almost immediately but a penalty from Rob Lazarczuk in the 49th minute, after Knight was fouled by Louis Rogers, made it 3-1 before Roberts put the seal on another fine away display in the Vase with a fourth goal in the 75th minute. 

The fifth round will take place on the weekend of Saturday, February 2. 


Torquay United 4, Slough Town 0

Ben Harris was sent off in the first half as the Rebels slipped to defeat at National League South leaders Torquay United. 

Harris was shown a second yellow card for mocking the Torquay fans, moments after collecting his first caution in the 45th minute. 

The home side scored all of their goals after the interval, through Ben Wynter, Jake Andrews, Keating and Asa Hall. But Slough made Torquay work hard for the points with their third and fourth coming after the 87th minute mark. 

There was a lack of chances in the first half but the best of them fell to Torquay, when Jamie Reid found Hall free in the Slough area but his header flew over. 

The sending off clearly had a major bearing on the outcome of the game. The Rebels fell behind in the 48th minute when Ben Wynter fired into the bottom corner. Jake Andrews converted the hosts' second from a free-kick in the 64th minute. 

Slough had the ball in the net in the 81st minute but were denied by the linesman's flag, while Chris Flood looped a header over the keeper only for Torquay defenders to get back and clear. Keating finished confidently from a drilled cross to make it 3-0 three minutes from time and Hall added the hosts' fourth in stoppage time. 

On Twitter, joint boss Jon Underwood said: "Won't comment on the incident until I see the video but it's safe to say it had a major impact on the game. Credit to our lads who worked so hard against a very good Torquay side."

Slough will aim to bounce back at home to Bath City on Tuesday evening. 


South Park 1, Marlow 2

Devontae Romeo's strike in the opening minutes of the first half, and Junaid Bell's goal in the early stages of the second handed Marlow FC a hard-earned win at South Park. 

The Blues had to battle for all three points, after Great Evans netted for South Park on 55 minutes and James Clark was sent off for the visitors in the 67th minute. 

But Mark Bartley's men held on for their 20th win of the season. They remain third in the table, behind second placed Bracknell Town on goal difference. Hayes & Yeading United are now odds on favourites for the title They hold a two point lead over Bracknell and Marlow having played three fewer games. 

The Blues are next in league action at home to Westfield on Saturday, January 12. 


Sandhurst Town 2, Burnham 0

Burnham suffered their first loss in three months as they bowed out of the Berks & Bucks Cup. 

It was the hosts who booked their place in the semi-finals of the competition, despite Paul Shone's men dominating for long periods. 

Morgan Green had a first half to forget for the Blues. He had the ball in the net, only for it to be disallowed for offside, before having to go off after suffering what looked a bad injury. 

The home side took the lead through a curling shot in the 77th minute and sealed their win in the 85th minute when Paul Rake rounded the keeper and thumped the ball in off the crossbar. 


Manchester United 2, Reading 0

Jose Gomes' Reading produced a creditable performance as they exited the FA Cup at the third round stage at Old Trafford. 

Ole Gunner Solskjaer's side took the lead through Juan Mata's  VAR awarded penalty in the 22nd minute, and Romelu Lukaku rounded Anssi Jaakola to score the hosts second in first half injury-time. 

The Royals had a superb chance to get back into the contest, but Callum Harriott failed to beat Romero after being played in by Sone Aluko. 

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles