Wed, 21
21 °C
Thu, 22
22 °C
Fri, 23
25 °C

Football round-up: Clifton on target but Maidenhead United lose at home to Harrogate Town

Football round-up: Clifton on target but Maidenhead United lose at home to Harrogate Town

Maidenhead United 1, Harrogate Town 2

Maidenhead United's good recent run was ended as Harrogate Town took all three points at York Road.

Kelvin Langmead swept home the winner from a 77th minute corner to move the visitors up to third in the National League.

The Magpies were largely second best in this encounter, but levelled midway through the first half when Adrian Clifton tucked home after Reece Cole's free-kick was deflected into his path. It was the striker's second goal in three matches for the Magpies. 

Harrogate had edged in front on 11 minutes when the Magpies failed to clear their lines from a corner kick, and Callum Howe reacted quickest to turn home Mark Beck's header from close range.

Alan Devonshire's side came into the class off the back of encouraging results at Sutton, and home to Ebbsfleet United on Tuesday, but they were forced onto the back foot by the quality of Harrogate's first half play. Alfie Kilgour blocked bravely from Ryan Fallowfield before the post came to United's rescue after 20 minutes, Muldoon with the effort that clattered off the woodwork.

A second goal looked a certainty for Town when Muldoon closed in for a tap-in after 23 minutes, but a combination of Alan Massey and Ayo Obileye thwarted him by throwing their bodies in front of the ball.

United levelled two minutes later and, despite a degree of suspicion over whether the strike was offside, the goal was allowed to stand.

Carl Pentney kept out Muldoon's header on the stroke of half-time with an excellent save, and Josh Falkingham put the rebound over the bar from eight yards to ensure the sides went in level at the break.

There were fewer chances of note in the second half, but Harrogate took the one which mattered when Langmead snuck in to score from a 77th minute corner. The visitors came close to a third in the 83rd minute, but Joe Leelsley's deflected strike came back off the inside of the post and United were able to hack clear.

The Magpies almost snatched an equaliser in the fourth minute of stoppage time but substitute Harold Odametey's acrobatic bicycle kick flew wide.

They remain fifth from bottom in the National League on 21 points.

Maidenhead United: Pentney, Clerima, Steer, Obileye (Alves 82'), Kilgour, Comley, Twumasi, Clifton (Kelly 69'), Cole (Odametey 82'), Massey. Subs not used: Owusu, Peters.

Attendance: 1,090


Erith Town 1, Windsor 2

Windsor are through to the final 32 of the FA Vase for the second successive season after this afternoon's 2-1 win at Erith Town.

The Royalists had come into the tie off the back of disappointing league and cup results against Ascot United and Flackwell Heath, but they've lifted their game for this competition in recent seasons and today was no different.

The visitors took a commanding lead through goals from Rob Lazarczuk and Dan Roberts either side of half-time, before Steadman Callender pulled one back for the hosts late on. Erith captain Jack Hooper was also dismissed in stoppage time for a high tackle on Roberts.

Windsor grabbed the lead in the 35th minute when Lazarczuk brilliantly controlled Andy Ingram's long pass and fired past Adam Molloy from the edge of the area.

Erith had gone close through Callender in the first half but Windsor were resolute in defence and doubled their advantage just before the hour mark. This time Roberts was well found by Matty Stockill and he crashed a left-footed shot high into the net.

Steadman fired home the loose ball after a great save from Hugo Sobte to put the outcome back in the balance, but Windsor held on to put their name in the hat for the next round of the competition.


Marlow 1, Hertford Town 1

Marlow missed the chance to put further ground between themselves and the chasing pack in the Bostik League South Central Division, conceding a 90th minute equaliser to draw 1-1 at home to Hertford Town.

But the Blues continue to hold a three point advantage at the top over Bracknell Town, who played out a 3-3 draw with third placed Hayes & Yeading United.

Marlow took the lead 10 minutes into the second half through Marcus Mealing but they failed to close the game out, with Elliott Bailey levelling matters in second half stoppage time.


Flackwell Heath 2, Royal Wootton Bassett Town 1

The Heathens booked their place in the next round of the Supplementary Cup thanks to an extra-time winner from Josh Baines.

Marcus Richardson's side took the lead when Anyadike-Thompson finished off a flowing move in the 47th minute, but Wootton Bassett squared things up just a few minutes later to take the tie into extra-time.

Penalties looked to be on the cards until Baines' superb strike in the 118th minute.


Other selected results:

Burnham 5, Woodley United 1

Reading 2, Stoke City 2


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Recent

Most read

Top Ten Articles