Sun, 15
25 °C
Mon, 16
20 °C
Tue, 17
19 °C

Upward strikes deep into injury time to give Magpies a dramatic late win.

Upward strikes deep into injury time to give Magpies a dramatic late win.

Ryan Upward scored a dramatic late winner as Maidenhead moved nine points clear of the relegation zone with a 1-0 win against Sutton United.

The midfielder was the calmest man on the pitch as he slotted home in the 94th minute to give the Magpies a memorable victory, after having to play the majority of the second half with ten men.

The game always looked to be a tight affair from the off and the best chances of the first half fell to the away side. Craig Eastmond tested Carl Pentney with a rasping volley, before the Magpies put in some last ditch defending to clear Gime Toure’s strike off the line.

Chances were few and far between in the first half as the sides went into the break level, but a controversial red card for Mike Fondop less than ten minutes after the break opened the game up. His high boot on Dean Beckwith worthy of an early bath according to referee Samuel Allison.

But the Magpies defended doggedly and responded brilliantly after the red card, marching forward through James Comley before Ayo Obileye fired wide. Maidenhead continued to look menacing on the break, and after the introduction of Josh Kelly had someone to break away with pace. The forward did that late on but could not find the finish to match his lung-busting run from halfway.

As the game drew to a close Sutton’s Eastmond was dismissed for his reaction to a Comley challenge -with the referee initially brandishing a yellow for both players before consulting his linesman and sending off the Sutton player.

And much like the Tuesday night’s last gasp heroics against Dagenham & Redbridge, there was a late goal, deep into injury time. Harold Odametey powered through midfield before playing a one-two with Kelly – he then looked up and fed the ball to Upward who coolly slotted home to give Maidenhead the lead.

The goal was not to be the end of the drama however, as the two benches clashed during the celebrations, with referee Allison brandishing a red to a member of the Sutton bench as Maidenhead held on for an important 1-0 win, to move them nine points clear of the relegation zone heading into Tuesday's fixture with Ebbsfleet United. 


Elsewhere, Windsor FC advanced to the final of the Hellenic Challenge Cup as they comfortably beat Almondsbury 3-0 away from home.

Rob Lazarczuk opened the scoring for the Royalists before Dan Roberts bagged a brace to seal a final berth for Mick Woodham’s men.

They’ll face Ascot United who produced a brilliant performance to beat Wantage Town by a goal to nil. 

Kai Walters got the only goal of the game in the first half, rounding the Wantage ‘keeper before slotting home from a tight angle.


Marlow FC produced a stunning performance to end Hayes and Yeading’s 100% home record, by winning 2-0 and playing more than 40 minutes with 10 men.

Kameron English scored both goals to give the Blues a big victory and keep them within one point of second placed Bracknell with a game in hand.


Marlow United returned to league action with a 3-0 win over Reading City u23’s at Oak Tree Road to keep the pressure on those above them.


Burnham FC routed Abingdon Town, winning 9-0 away from home.

The league leaders flexed their muscles as Dean Allen bagged a hat-trick while Lucas Sinclair, Ryan Tackley, Ollie Harris, Kyle Mifsud and Dan Malloy (x2) all got on the scoresheet.


Holyport FC advanced to the semi-finals of the Hellenic League one Subsidiary Cup with a narrow 2-1 win over Cirencester Town Development.

An early goal put Port in the lead before the Cirencester pegged them back later in the first half. But Fabian Driffill’s curling effort in the second half made sure Holyport went into the hat for the semi-finals.


Slough Town produced a battling comeback to draw 2-2 with Concord Rangers, after being reduced to ten men.

The Rebels pegged back their hosts with two late goals, first through Francis Amartey before Lee Togwell scored a dramatic 92nd minute equaliser for Slough.



Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Recent

Most read

Top Ten Articles