Football round-up: Marlow FC too strong for Moneyfields at Oak Tree Road

Football round-up: Marlow FC too strong for Moneyfields at Oak Tree Road

Marlow 3, Moneyfields 0

Marlow’s recent good form continued as they saw off promotion hunting Moneyfield’s 3-0 at Oak Tree Road.

The Blues have found strength in adversity in recent weeks, after the players were told their playing budget would be cut in half, and they claimed an important three points thanks to first half goals from Kelvin Bossman and Kameron English and Junaid Bell’s 81st minute strike.

The Blues came into the game off the back of their impressive 3-1 Challenge Cup win at Premier Division Basingstoke Town on Tuesday night, and having held league leaders Rushden & Diamonds last weekend.


Holyport 5, Aston Clinton 0

The goals were shared around as Holyport thumped Aston Clinton 5-0 in the Supplementary Cup.

The sides kicked off at 1.30pm at Summerleaze Village, and it didn’t take Barry Rake’s side long to find their feet.

Summer signing Fabian Driffill added to the four goals he scored against Thame Rangers last week to make it 1-0, before Alert Marques found the net to extend Port’s lead before the break.

Lee Ovens then scored only his second goal in 234 appearances to put the home side three goals to the good before Charlie Evans got his name on the scoresheet with 15 minutes to play. Jonny Feaver then completed the scoring to cap a thoroughly professional display.


St Ives Town P-P Slough Town

Slough Town’s hopes of closing the gap on the Southern League Premier Division front-runners were held up after their match at St Ives Town was postponed.

The pitch, which Rebels Neil Baker had said was in a horrendous state and would cut up badly, failed a pre-match pitch inspection.

It means that Slough, who already have up to six matches in hand on some of their rivals for promotion due to their involvement in the cups, are likely to play the Cambridgeshire side midweek when the match is rescheduled.


Hull City 0, Reading 0

Reading kept a second successive clean sheet to pick up a much-needed point from their trip to fellow strugglers Hull City.

The pressure has been growing on manager Jaap Stam, following a poor run of results in the league and cup.

The Royals had slipped to 18th in the Championship ahead of their visit to the KCOM Stadium, where neither side could find the net as the points were shared.

John Swift forced McGregor into a fine first half save as the Royals looked to take the game to their hosts. Liam Moore was then twice denied by McGregor to frustrate Stam’s side. Toral had the ball in the net for Hull, but the goal was ruled out for kicking the ball out of Mannone’s hands.


Wycombe Wanderers 3, Colchester United 1

Luke O’Nien scored with a sensational strike as Wycombe Wanderers completed the double over Colchester United.

The Chairboys took the lead in the 13th minute when Adebayo Akinfenwa got down low to nod the ball past Walker. The home side were celebrating their second 10 minutes later when Paris Cowan-Hall’s shot was deflected into the net.

The Wanderers’ supporters were made to wait for the third goal of the afternoon, but boy was it worth the wait. A corner from the left side in the 74th minute was cleared to the edge of the area where O’Nien smashed a volley back across Walker and into the top corner.

Szmodics curled home a late consolation but it was too late to influence the final result.

Afterwards Gareth Ainsworth said: “We made it tough for a very decent Colchester side. That’s a good win. I know that doing the double over them is special for the fans.”


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Recent

Most read

Top Ten Articles