Samuel scores twice as Flackwell Heath fight back to beat 10-man Windsor FC

Samuel scores twice as Flackwell Heath fight back to beat 10-man Windsor FC

(Pictured: Dean Allen, playing earlier this season against Burnham)

Flackwell Heath 3, Windsor 1

Charlie Samuel showed his predatory instincts, scoring two well taken goals as Flackwell Heath fought back in the second half to comfortably beat 10-man Windsor.

Windsor came into the clash full of confidence after their FA Vase victory over Eastbourne Town last week, and were very good value for the 27th minute lead given to them by former Ascot player Paul Coyne.

The officials could have done with the help of VAR to confirm if Coyne’s far post strike, from Nadir Shafi’s cut back, had crossed the line, but the assistant on the far side raised his flag to signal a goal had been scored.

Windsor should have had more goals to show for their first half dominance. James Tripp hooked the ball off the goal line midway through the half, while Jack Denton hooked the ball wide after running onto Barry Hayles’ layoff in the 10th minute.

But the tide that had been in Windsor’s favour, turned five minutes before the interval when Denton, who’d been an industrious and creative presence for the visitors, was sent off after picking up a second yellow for a lunge on Tyler Gregory inside Flackwell’s half. It was a needless and costly challenge, with Denton already on a yellow after a firm challenge on Charlie Malin earlier in the game.

The sending off handed Marcus Richardson’s side the initiative, and they seized upon this, scoring three times in a 10 minute spell after the break.  They were level within 10 minutes of the re-start when Samuel collected a ball over the top of Windsor’s defence, held off Andy Ingram and drilled a low shot beyond Hugo Sobte.

Five minutes later Samuel bagged his, and his side’s, second of the afternoon. Outstripping Windsor backline he latched onto Ryan Tackley’s through-ball, and dinked the ball past the outrushing Sobte to make it 2-1.  

A rattled looking Windsor had no answer to Flackwell on the counter attack. In the 65th minute Sheridan Campbell got to the byline and cut the ball back for captain Dean Allen to fire home.

Kieran Knight might have made the final 13 minutes more interesting had he beaten Sobte when sent clean through on goal, but David Lyons got down well to make the stop.

Windsor did their best to force the issue in the final 10 minutes, and Gus Bowles struck the base of the post after coming on for Nadir Shafi. But, Flackwell could easily have extended their advantage too, with Joshua Dillon firing wide just moments after entering the fray as a substitute for Campbell.

For Flackwell, this was just what the doctor ordered after dropping points last week against relegation strugglers Fairford Town and Ascot United, while Windsor – who are still competing on four fronts for this campaign – will point to the dismissal of Denton as the game changing moment, having controlled the contest at Wilks Park up to that point.

Windsor next travel to Woodley United on Monday night, while Flackwell – whose promotion ambitions are still just about alive - are also on the road at Oxford City Nomads on Tuesday.

Flackwell Heath: Lyons, Gray, Gregory, Malin, Tripp, Tackley, Campbell (Dillon 85'), Khomsi (Mitchell 66'), Allen (C), Samuel, Amartey. Subs not used: Taylor, Howell.

Windsor: Sobte, Smith, Di-Guiseppe, Coyne, Ingram (Cannon 72'), Woodham (Pearce 53'), Gould, Denton, Knight (C), Hayles, Shafi (Bowles 65'). Subs not used: Stockill, Brooks-Smith.


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Recent

Most read

Top Ten Articles