05:42AM, Tuesday 18 December 2012
A gas leak brought chaos to central Maidenhead this afternoon at 2pm when a strong smell of gas led to firefighters being called out.
A 100-yard area of Queen Street was closed for an hour while the leak was investigated by a gas supply team as two fire engines stood by.
Traffic chaos ensued as the busy street was closed to cars and pedestrians and people in the businesses were evacuated.
The gas supply was shut off before the smell was traced to an appliance that had accidentally been turned on in takeaway restaurant Oven and Grill.
The road reopened after an hour.
Top Ten Articles
Wexham Park Hospital has urged members of the public to minimise pressures on services tomorrow by considering other treatment options before attending as the emergency department moves into the new assessment centre.