04:45AM, Thursday 03 July 2014
A triathlete has called on the organisers of Windsor Triathlon to carry out water safety checks after he fell ill following the event.
Andrew Scott, 45, took part in the triathlon on Sunday, June 15, but suffered from symptoms consistent with food poisoning shortly afterwards.
The swimming leg of the race took place in the River Thames and Andrews suspects there was 'something in the water'.
The BBC employee said: "During and directly after the race I felt fine but in the middle of the night I was really ill and I spent the next two days in bed recovering.
"At first, my wife Julia thought it was something I had eaten but I have a heard of a considerable number of people with similar symptoms."
The father-of-two from Maidenhead has urged race organisers Human Race to provide competitors with more information and to carry out safety checks of the water.
He has lost half-a-stone through the illness and has been unable to train since the triathlon.
Andrew has completed a survey sent out by Human Race following the event in which he complained about the conditions of the water, which he believes was contaminated by a sewage leak.
"If Human Race knew there had been a sewage leak I would have expected a warning and a little more information", he said.
Responding, Nick Rusling, CEO of Human Race, said: "We have had less than five per cent of people contact us to tell us that they have been ill, which is quite a low proportion.
"With swimming in the River Thames there is always a risk of getting ill – that is something we publicise before the event."
He added testing of the river starts five weeks before the event and all tests leading up to the event passed bathing standards.
"If the conditions are not safe we would turn the event into a duathlon like we did in 2012 after the floods," he said.
A spokesman from the Environment Agency said there were no reports of a sewage disposal in the river at the time of the triathlon.
Top Ten Articles
The leader of the Royal Borough has been thrust into the national spotlight after calling for police to act on ‘aggressive begging and intimidation in Windsor’ ahead of May’s royal wedding.