M4 crash update: Two airlifted to hospital

M4 crash update: Two airlifted to hospital

Hannah Crouch

M4 crash update: Two airlifted to hospital

A multi-vehicle crash yesterday afternoon along a section of the M4 caused hours of delays for motorists.

Picture by Pawel Kloch


Three cars and a lorry were involved in a serious collision along a stretch of the motorway between junctions 5 and 4B.

The accident took place at 3.22pm, but the Highway Agency did not give the all clear on the eastbound carriageway until 7.30pm.

Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service (RBFRS) received a call at 3.24pm from the ambulance service and one crew from Langley and two crews from Slough were dispatched to the scene.

A spokeswoman from RBFRS confirmed that two casualties had to be removed from a car, with one casualty being taken away in an air ambulance.

This caused the eastbound lane to remain closed for several hours whilst the westbound lane was temporarily opened.

The situation was under control by 4.49pm and the fire crews left the scene around 5.30pm.

Delays between 30 and 60 minutes were expected but some motorists took to twitter complaining of three hour delays.

The Highways Agency and the police advised motorists to avoid the area.

However this had a knock on effect on the surrounding areas as drivers tried to seek alternative routes – in particular the northbound carriageway of the A404, which is a main access route to the M40. 


The South Central Ambulance Service [SCAS] confirmed that five people have been admitted to hospital.

A female in her 50s with serious head injuries was taken to St George’s hospital in London via air ambulance.

Another air ambulance was needed to transport a second female in her 20s to John Radcliffe in Oxford where she was treated for non life-threatening injuries.

A male in his 50s was taken to St Mary’s hospital in London with serious injuries.

Minor injuries were sustained by another two people who were taken to Wexham Park Hospital.

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles