09:35AM, Thursday 13 March 2014
A special camera had to be used to investigate a fire in a stairwell for flats above Sainsbury's in Providence Place, Maidenhead, this morning.
A small fire had started in the narrow gap between the stairwell where discarded rubbish, including cigarette butts, had built up.
Initially, fire crews from Maidenhead and one from Slough were called out to the incident, which took place at about 12.50am, but that was scaled back to one crew from Maidenhead on arrival as the situation was under control.
The crew used a snake eye camera to fit down the narrow gap to investigate the fire and extinguished it with a single hose reel.
There was no need to evacuate the building and there was only minor damage to the stairwell.
The crew left the scene at about 3am.
Top Ten Articles
Wexham Park Hospital has urged members of the public to minimise pressures on services tomorrow by considering other treatment options before attending as the emergency department moves into the new assessment centre.