10:45AM, Thursday 13 March 2014
A popular gym reopened after a one-day closure sparked by a suspected chemical leak that turned out to be a false alarm.
Emergency services were called to La Roche in Crown Lane on Monday, after staff noticed an odour coming from the tank used to store chemicals for the swimming pool's water.
Shortly after midday the Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue service sent a crew from its Maidenhead station and also its Reading-based hazardous materials unit.
The building was evacuated and closed for the day. Police diverted traffic from Crown Lane and nearby Bridge Lane.
A fire service spokeswoman said on Monday the problem was a suspected chemical spill, believed to be chlorine. The fitness centre reported on its Twitter page that it had identified a problem with its swimming pool equipment.
But on Tuesday, gym manager Steve Aluko said the chemical spill was a false alarm.
"The fire brigade did not detect anything and today our investigations firm confirmed that there was no spill or danger to our members at any time," he added.
Steve said the gym closed as a precautionary measure and praised his staff for acting at the first site of danger.
He added: "We take the health and safety of our members very seriously."
The fire service left the scene at 2.45pm on Monday and the roads reopened shortly after.
The gym and swimming pool opened its doors to members again on Tuesday afternoon.
Top Ten Articles
Two men suffered stab wounds - with one in a serious condition in hospital - after an incident of grievous bodily harm in Maidenhead early this morning (Saturday).
A new era is on the horizon for Maidenhead as the state-of-the-art Braywick Leisure Centre opens this weekend, but the move will see the town wave goodbye to a key part of its history after 45 years.