Thu, 12
9 °C
Fri, 13
7 °C
Sat, 14
7 °C

Pensioner rescued from window following fire at residential home

Pensioner rescued from window following fire at residential home

Simon Meechan

Pensioner rescued from window following fire at residential home

Nine people were evacuated from a block of sheltered accommodation in Furze Platt  after an electrical fire this morning.

Firefighters at the scene this morning

Three fire engines attended Gardner House in Harrow Lane after a fuse box caught fire in the first floor of the building at 6.50am.

The fire was contained to a two-storey block of eight flats. Residents living in Gardner House's 28 other flats were unaffected.

Fire crews used a ladder to rescue one elderly woman from a first floor window and two more were walked out of the building.

She was treated in an ambulance for smoke inhalation.

Residents have been unable to return to the building, with a  fire and rescue service spokesman saying there is 'severe smoke damage' to the first floor and it will  be 'some time before they can go back'.

The evacuated residents were taken to the adjacent day centre, which has been unaffected. A spokeswoman for Housing Solutions, which runs the sheltered accomodation, said they are 'safe and well'.

John Petitt, Chief Executive of Housing Solutions said:  “Naturally our focus today is on caring for our residents and our Community Housing Team is on site looking after their needs.

"I would like to thank the fire services for their professional and compassionate approach to the evacuation, which made a very traumatic incident much easier for our elderly residents.

“We will be cooperating fully with the fire services into any investigation,”  he added.


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Paid Stories

Most read

Top Ten Articles

M4 closures this weekend

M4 closures this weekend

The motorway will be out of action from junction 6 for Slough and 8/9, Maidenhead from 8pm tomorrow night (Friday), until 6am Monday.