07:32AM, Thursday 29 August 2013
A nine-year-old boy had a lucky escape after picking up a used needle while playing innocently in a Maidenhead park.
Jack Scrivens was enjoying a family trip to Boyn Grove Park on Monday when he made the shocking discovery while playing in an overgrown wooded area of the park
The Courthouse Junior School pupil returned from the bushes with the needle, to the horror of mum and dad.
"I was actually terrified for him," said mum Andrea.
"At first we thought it was just a pencil."
Unaware of what he had picked up, Jack was quickly told to drop the needle which he had found alongside a pile of empty beer and wine bottles.
"The first thing we did was to make sure his hands were all OK and there was no break of the skin," said full time mum Andrea.
Having discarded the used needle safely and having rushed Jack home to thoroughly wash his hands, Andrea and husband Gary were relieved to find he was ok.
"We were very lucky," said the Wavell Road householder.
"I think it could have been a lot worse."
The mum-of-two regularly visits the park with her two sons Jack and eight-year-old Harry, and now wants to warn parents to be more careful when letting their children play in open spaces.
The 42-year-old is also calling on the council to take more action to thoroughly clean parks of any dangerous debris.
"Those responsible for leaving behind these hazardous objects are thoughtless and show no consideration for the safety of the public and their use of open spaces," she added.
A spokesman from the council said it took the issues of people finding needles 'extremely seriously' and urged anyone who made an unwanted discovery to contact the council immediately.
It added it intended to send community wardens to the park yesterday to clear it of any more dangerous items.
Top Ten Articles