09:11AM, Thursday 09 May 2013
A couple in their fifties narrowly avoided a serious house fire after their dishwasher set alight last night.
Maidenhead fire station were alerted to the blaze, caused by the faulty appliance, at 3.05am in Braywick Road after smoke woke up the woman in her sleep.
They did not have a smoke alarm fitted,
"They avoided what would have been a very serious house fire," said watch manager Iain Seuraa.
He added: "Thankfully the woman woke up in her sleep but let this reiterate the importance of having smoke alarms fitted in the home and also that people should not have their dishwashers on during the night or when they're out."
The fire caused smoke damage to the kitchen and the couple were treated for smoke inhalation.
Top Ten Articles
Two men suffered stab wounds - with one in a serious condition in hospital - after an incident of grievous bodily harm in Maidenhead early this morning (Saturday).
A new era is on the horizon for Maidenhead as the state-of-the-art Braywick Leisure Centre opens this weekend, but the move will see the town wave goodbye to a key part of its history after 45 years.