Sun, 16
19 °C
Mon, 17
19 °C
Tue, 18
18 °C

Football round-up: Luqman on target as Ascot United beat Longlevens to consolidate second spot 

Ascot United FC

A comfortable 2-0 home win over Longlevens on Saturday saw Ascot United consolidate second place and close the gap to leaders Brackley Town Saints.

First half goals from Louis Bouwers and Luqman Kassim earned Jamie Tompkins’ side victory ahead of tomorrow’s (Saturday) six-pointer at third placed Brimscombe & Thrupp.

The home side came into the clash at full-strength, barring the suspended Fabien Etienne and Callum Carlisle who was unavailable.

The visitors fashioned the game’s first chance when Jonty Welch’s free-kick was claimed by Lee Allen to his right, but the half belonged to Ascot, who led on 13 minutes when Bouwers leapt highest to head home Jonny Denton’s corner.

Geoff Kibaki smashed the ball into the side-netting after Dom Sullivan’s miscue rolled kindly for him, while a neat one-two between Nathan Minhas and man-of-the-match Dan Price resulted in Price scooping the ball into the grateful arms of keeper Ash Wintle.

The second goal arrived just after the half-hour mark when Denton’s tenacity to win a 50/50 challenge ended with Kassim looping a deflected effort over Wintle.

The second half was a virtual non-event in comparison to the first, with Shaun O’Connor’s speculative effort looping onto the roof of Allen’s net.

For Ascot Usman Lalustani, one of three changes made by Tompkins in the second half, lashed a low shot just wide of the post. Minhas went even closer a few minutes later when his raking drive struck the base of Wintle’s post and spun across the six-yard box.

The match was also a send-off for Nathan Minhas who will link up with National League South side Billericay Town. Minhas netted three hat-tricks before the end of August for the Yellamen and scored 30 goals in 32 matches this season.

Ascot also visit local rivals Binfield on Monday evening.


Windsor FC

George Gould scored a late leveller as Windsor snatched a draw from the jaws of defeat against Tuffley Rovers on Saturday.

Mick Woodham shuffled his pack following the Royalists’ disappointing Boxing Day defeat to tenants Virginia Water, with Kane Fitzgerald replacing Robert Lazarczuk in attack and Jack Denton dropping to the bench. But, with one eye no doubt fixed on Saturday’s FA Vase tie at AFC Uckfield, this was another turgid affair and the 1-1 draw leaves Windsor without a win in the league since Abingdon were beaten 1-0 on November 10.

Windsor began brightly enough and created the better first half chances. Gould went closest for the hosts, his low drive well saved by Kane Winman in the Rovers’ goal.

The game was sparked into life in the 49th minute when Warren Mann, recently introduced from the substitute’s bench, smashed home a harshly awarded penalty after Gould was adjudged to have handled in the area. The response from the hosts was slow. Gould managed to smash the ball into his forehead with an attempted volley, leading to laughter from all sides, including the player himself.

But he who laughs last, laughs loudest, and Gould bagged Windsor a deserved point with a minute to go when Kieran Knight crossed for Gould to stud home the equaliser.

Virginia Water 2, Windsor 1

On Boxing Day Virginia Water came out on top in the Tenants vs Landlords’ derby at Stag Meadow.

Scott Jackson netted twice for the ‘hosts’, his second coming from the penalty spot in the 33rd minute after George Gould had pulled the Royalists level just a few minutes previously.


Flackwell Heath FC

The Heathens drew 3-3 at home to Royal Wootton Bassett on Saturday, after seemingly having won the match with an 87th minute goal from Adam Thomas, only to concede again in stoppage time.

In an entertaining contest, the visitors took the lead on 21 minutes but the Heathens made it all square after a Josh Samuels solo run and curled finish made it 1-1.

The visitors retook the lead early in the second half only for Thomas to net for the hosts with a memorable bicycle kick.

When Thomas scored with a late header, it seemed as if the Heathens had pinched all three points, but it was not to be as TJ Bohane bagged Bassett’s equaliser.

Seventh-placed Heathens are not in action until Saturday, January 12 when they host Didcot Town Development in the Supplementary Cup.


Holyport FC

Holyport remain in the Division 1 East promotion race after coming from behind to gain a hard fought 2-1 success over Penn & Tylers Green on Saturday.

The visitors to Summerleaze Park took the lead on 29 minutes, but just before half-time Steven Deverall levelled proceedings with a close range effort.

This scrappy affair was finally decided when Chris De Franco netted for the Port to earn them a sixth success of the campaign.

Holyport are fifth on 19 points with just four points separating second place from seventh.

Port are next in league action on Tuesday, January 8 when they visit Thame Rangers before travelling to Wrightchoice & Unity in the Supplementary Cup on Saturday, January 12.


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Recent

Most read

Top Ten Articles