Football round-up: Slough Town forced to settle for a share of the spoils

Neil Baker and Jon Underwood


Chelmsford City 1, Slough Town 1

Slough Town were forced to settle for a share of the spoils against Chelmsford City at Melbourne Stadium on Saturday afternoon, with the draw dealing the Rebels a major blow to their already slim odds of making the National League South play-offs.

Boss Neil Baker had previously said how his side needed to win all four of their remaining games to have a chance of finishing in the top seven, and George Hunt got them thinking it was a possibility when he fired in a low shot in the 31st minute.

The Rebels were also graced with a man advantage when City’s Dave Winfield was shown a straight red card for a high-footed challenge on Aaron Kuhl shortly after the interval.

However, the home side brought themselves level when Tom Blackwell was picked out on the edge of the area by Chez Isaac and the striker fired low and hard past Jonathan North in the 75th minute.

Both teams had their chances to win the game with Slough forcing McKenzie-Lyle into an impressive double save before having a goal controversially chalked off for offside in the 90th minute, and Simeon Jackson was desperately unlucky not to beat North one-on-one in injury time for Chelmsford.

As a result, Slough Town slip to 13th in the table with Concord Rangers to play next Tuesday (April 26).

Westfield 3, Marlow 1

In the Isthmian League South Central Division, Marlow were beaten in their final game of the season hosted at Woking Park.

After a cagey opening, the home side got their noses in front thanks to captain Luke Elliott (39’) who pounced onto Simon Grant’s deflected save and slotted away a finish.

Jacob Breckon (59’) was able to double Westfield’s advantage before the hour mark as Blues manager Mark Bartley turned to his bench shortly after to bring on Junaid Bell for Khalid Simmo and Jordan Brown for Tristan Campbell.

Such changes appeared to have paid dividends as Bell halved the deficit in the 79th minute, only for Bradley Walsh to frustratingly further his side’s advantage three minutes later.

Marlow finish their season in a respectable seventh place, nine points shy of the top five.

Arlesey Town 1, Flackwell Heath 2

The Heathens have concluded their campaign in the Spartan South Midlands Premier Division with three points taken from the Armadillo Stadium.

In-form forward Aiden Higgs fired his side in front in the sixth minute with an instinctive finish before he had a part to play in their second goal.

Following some impressive work by Jack Shakespeare and Matthew Ayres, the latter cut back only for Higgs to dummy and Sam Coles to find the back of the net with the ball in the 35th minute.

With the wind behind them in the second half, Chris Ayres’ men looked to add more to their tally but it was Arlesey who would score next – from the penalty spot – owed to Higgs’ handball in the box.

It needn’t have worried boss Ayres though, as his side kept their cool and intensity down the other end to finish the game victorious.

Flackwell Heath wrap up their season in sixth place, level on points and goal difference with fifth-placed Harpenden Town.

Reading City 3, Burnham 2

Burnham will be happy to see the end of their season after Saturday’s defeat to Reading City extended their winless run in the Combined Counties Premier Division North to six matches.

In fairness, the Blues did well to respond in this clash with the home side going ahead first, only for Ethan Light to equalise in the 25th minute.

Reading City retook the lead on the half-hour mark and added their third before the hour. Leo Decabo made the scoreline 3-2 in the 83rd but Ben Murray’s men were denied a leveller in the dying embers.

Burnham finish their season in 13th place.

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles