Slough Town drop points against Concord Rangers but go three games unbeaten

Slough Town 1, Concord Rangers 1

Slough Town couldn’t make it three consecutive victories in the National League South, but they have now gone three matches unbeaten and that was good enough for boss Jon Underwood on Saturday afternoon.

At Arbour Park, the Rebels looked on course for maximum points after Alfonso Tenconi scored in the 19th minute and the home side held firmly onto that one-goal advantage for the remaining 71.

However, it was in injury time that Rangers levelled affairs with Daniel Green slotting away a cool finish in the 93rd minute to ensure Rangers would journey back to Essex with a share of the spoils.

“We’ve tried to be ultra-positive with them in there because we’ve had a really good week,” said Underwood at full-time.

“Seven points from those three games is a great return but in the way today’s result happened, we’re disappointed because we were so close [to another win].

“It’s horrible it’s happened but we can’t ask any more of my players.

“We had some tired legs during the second half – our lads have put an awful lot in these previous two games – but, I think we kept them at arm’s length.

“I don’t think we had to deal with waves and waves of pressure, we felt reasonably comfortable. But that’s just football. It happened to us a few weeks ago at Hungerford Town when we were one up and ended up drawing.

“It really hurts because you can’t help but look at the table and think if we had got two points here, and two points there. But, we have to take the emotion out of it and focus on the positives of the past week.

“We’ve come a long way as a team, so we will take this on the chin.”

In a first half of few chances, Ben Harris was the first to register one when his effort from outside the area whistled the left post in the eighth minute.

George Hunt was next to try his luck and the youngster can chiefly take credit for the opening goal.

Just before the 20-minute markm Hunt struck a fierce effort on target with ‘keeper Myles Roberts redirecting the ball into a dangerous area, and Tenconi was at hand with a poacher’s finish.

Taking inspiration, Matthew Lench lined one up from similar range moments later but his attempt sailed way over the bar, and Josh Jackman curled one wide of the woodwork.

In the 38th minute, Rangers’ fans believed Jonathan North had used his hands outside of his area to deny Lamar Reynolds but the referee wasn’t interested in their appeals.

The visitors had the better chances of the two sides after the interval, with James Blanchfield skewing a shot just wide following a well-worked cross by Ollie Kensdale. Next, Ben Allen curled an effort past the posts after cutting inside.

Substitutions for both sides began on the hour mark as Ben Harris was replaced by Max Worsfold before Temi Babalola came on for Allen.

The game would have certainly been done and dusted had Tenconi scored in the 78th minute, the forward shrugging off his man, moving into a good position, before picking up possession again and firing over.

Down the other end, Reynolds gave the Rebels a scare when he was presented with a golden opportunity for yards out but, fortunately, blasted a shot way over North’s goal.

But, within the six added minutes of extra time, Green made no mistake from inside the area.

Had they concluded the match victorious, Slough Town would have leapfrogged Concord Rangers in the National League South table on goal difference. But following the draw, the Rebels remain 15th while Rangers slip into 11th.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles