McGavin snatches dramatic victory for King's Lynn Town at Maidenhead United

Maidenhead United 2, King’s Lynn Town 3

The rain came down and Maidenhead United’s spirits were dampened when Brett McGavin scored in the 91st minute to snatch King’s Lynn Town a dramatic 3-2 victory at York Road on Saturday afternoon.

The goal came exactly 60 seconds after Sam Barratt had dispatched a penalty kick to send the Magpies ostensibly on their way for a share of the spoils. However, upon the restart, the Linnets struck the final blow to secure maximum points.

At full-time, manager Alan Devonshire couldn’t look further past his side’s defensive frailties. He said: “I’m gutted. To get back to 2-2, we’ve got to finish the game off. Our defending was awful. You can’t defend like that and expect a result. It’s Sunday morning football. The two goals we let in after half-time were criminal.”

Maidenhead had fired themselves into the lead with a replica of a goal seen in the side’s clash against Grimsby Town a week prior. In the fourth minute, Kane Ferdinand put himself in a prime position to nod in Shaun Donnellan’s superb ball into the box.

Will de Havilland went close to doubling the advantage next from Barratt’s free kick with Paul Jones able to parry out for a corner. Donnellan – who only returned to the Magpies XI last week – was again inserted into the backline, with the number 8 performing strongly in the opening half hour.

Devonshire’s men, however, did take their foot off the gas as the first half ended with the Linnets’ earning the lion’s share of possession but ultimately using it to no avail.

Nevertheless, Ian Culverhouse’s team talk did pay dividends as his side were able to take their chances, notably two of them, swiftly after the interval. In the 47th minute, substitute Malachi Linton was able to keep his cool and punted in a near post finish past a stunned Rhys Lovett.

Then, two minutes later, Ross Barrows was able to beat Lovett to a long ball and compose himself enough to slide it under the onrushing Magpies ‘keeper, the score 2-1 in the 50th minute. Adding injury to insult, Lovett required medical attention upon trying to deny the Linnets’ forward.

The goals didn’t appear to dissuade the home side from attacking, but it did leave them vulnerable at the back, as Charlee Adams went close with a low drive only for the ball to be collected and exploited in a counterattack.

Maidenhead continued to pile on the pressure, and bodies, as Ryan Upward and Josh Kelly were replaced by Jack Senga and Nathan Blissett respectively. The towering Magpies number 9 was unfortunate not to make an immediate impact as his header floated just wide following a corner.

The Magpies’ weight in attack eventually broke the visitors’ backline in the 90th minute when referee Scott Jackson pointed to the penalty spot. Up stepped Barratt who squeezed in the spot kick to send the home side on their way to a draw.

But, in a moment of utter disbelief, King’s Lynn Town made a beeline straight for goal and McGavin made no mistake with his finish to grab the victory within the six minutes added at the end of normal time.

At full-time, boss Culverhouse said: “This will do us the world of good. We’ve been trying our very best lately and I believe we’ve been competitive in every game. We got our rewards for that today.”

MAIDENHEAD UNITED (4-4-2): Lovett 5, Beckwith 5, de Havilland 5 (’45 Parry 6), Massey 5, Donnellan 6, Kelly 5 (’63 Blissett 5), Upward 5 (’63 Senga 5), Ferdinand 6, Adams 6, Barratt 6, Acquah 5. Subs not used: Asonganyi, Smith.

KING’S LYNN TOWN: (3-5-2): Jones 7, Fernandes 6, Callan-McFadden 6, Bowry 6, Clunan 7 (’81 McGavin 7), Coleman 7, Omotayo 6, Morias 5 (’23 Linton 7), Jones 6, Barrows 7, Rowley 6. Subs not used: Gyasi, Sundire, Walker.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles