02:15PM, Thursday 26 March 2020
Speaking before the official announcement from the FA today (Thursday) to expunge all results for non league clubs from step three and down, Windsor boss Mark Cooper said it was a shame to see the Royalists season ended when they were in the ascendancy.
The FA declared the Hellenic Premier Division null and void this week, with no promotion and relegation, however the arrival of the coronavirus, and suspension of all football, stopped Windsor just as they were building a head of steam.
The Royalists finished the campaign in 11th place, satisfactory for Cooper’s first season in charge of the club, but he’ll be hoping for better from them next year.
“We haven’t had the official announcement that the season is over yet but I’m pretty sure it is,” Cooper said on Wednesday.
“Having been in the job since September and taking three or four months to get the right players in, to move people on, to get a settled routine in terms of training and getting to know the players, it just got to the stage that we were really happy with the squad.
“I have a very fit group of good players who are gelling really nicely. Some of the football in the last month and the form had put us in a really good place to kick on in the last 10 games and I felt we could’ve achieved that top six finish. But it’s not to be.”
“Looking back at this year, it was a very strange season and we needed to spend a lot of time getting the group together,” added Cooper.
“There was no football for a long period of time because of the abnormal amounts of rain we had, and just as the rain stopped, we had this (coronavirus) to deal with.
“I’ve never seen a season like it and I never want to see a season like it again.
“But now we’ve had the time to familiarise ourselves with our surroundings, our players and the league, we’re certainly much better equipped to go into next season. Everyone is missing football and wants it back as soon as possible but there’s obviously more important things at this time to concern ourselves with.”
Top Ten Articles
Members of staff at Wexham Park Hospital have tested positive for coronavirus, and the elderly care ward affected has been closed to new admissions for two weeks.