10:00AM, Thursday 19 March 2020
Harry Leask and Jack Beaumont
Marlow’s Rory Gibbs warmed up nicely for this summer’s Olympics by claiming top spot on the rostrum at the Great Britain Team Olympic Trials this weekend.
Gibbs and Matt Rossiter edged Moe Sbihi and Ollie Wynne Griffith into second place in the men’s pairs event, with Jacob Dawson and Tom Ford crossing the finish line in third.
In the men’s single sculls final Maidenhead’s Jack Beaumont had to be content with third place, behind the winner Graeme Thomas and Harry Leask.
Thomas reflected: “This weekend as ended in a win so I’m happy, but I have to pay respect to the opposition. It’s a really tough gig in the single scull and everyone out there has a lot of experience.
British Rowing Director of Performance Brendan Purcell said: “This Olympic Trials has been the first opportunity for our squad to race over 2000m side by side since last year’s World Championships and they’ve shown how much they’ve stepped on through the winter training block. The performances through the weekend have been outstanding and the standard has really been set for the rest of the summer.”
Rowing events organised by British Rowing will be suspended until at least April 30, the CEO of British Rowing, Andy Parkinson, has said.
Parkinson accepted some events will be postponed but others he said would have to be cancelled as the UK looks to get through the coronavirus health crisis.
He said: “Ultimately, we want to help ensure that we as an organisation and a sport minimise the risk of any spread of the virus.
“At this time, the Olympics and Paralympics are going ahead as planned, however, many of the major international rowin gevents have also been cancelled/postponed.”
“We want to ensure the GB Rowing Team goes into the Games in the best possible shape and so we have put in place a number of protocols to manage the risk around the Team’s activities and coronavirus.”
Top Ten Articles
Members of staff at Wexham Park Hospital have tested positive for coronavirus, and the elderly care ward affected has been closed to new admissions for two weeks.