06:30PM, Thursday 27 February 2020
Captain Myke Parrott has urged his side to forget about their last-gasp defeat to Okehampton and focus on their season-defining game this weekend.
Maids managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory on Saturday as their Devon opponents scored a converted try in the dying moments to win 24-22.
The hosts had led throughout the game but were unable to subdue the visitors who grabbed the points their possession had perhaps deserved.
Parrott said: “At 17-0 and 22-10 we feel we should’ve closed the game out.
“But it’s important to give immense credit to Okehampton for the way they fought back.
“They used their maul very well and kept hold of the ball for long periods.”
Both sides had been due to match-up the previous weekend but the game was postponed due to the travel disruption caused by Storm Dennis.
The rescheduling left Maids without head coach David Mobbs-Smith due to previous coaching commitments with the Sweden Women’s 7s.
Parrott dismissed any suggestion of bad blood between the two sides and said the players only had themselves to blame for defeat.
“There were words said by both sides in the higher echelons of the two clubs but I spoke to their coach before the game and we had a hug,” Parrott said.
“That’s far more important to us and anybody that comes to Braywick Park will always receive a warm welcome.
“We can look for excuses all day long but it was us as players that lost the game.”
The defeat proved not to be too catastrophic for Maids’ promotion hopes, with rivals Weston-super-Mare slipping up 28-19 away at mid-table Brixham.
But with both sides level on 54 points, all attention will now turn to Saturday’s fixture where the South West Premier’s 2nd and 3rd placed teams will do battle in the seaside town.
Parrott added: “It’s the biggest game of our season.
“We’ve got to try and get over what happened on Saturday because if we win against Weston we’re right in pole position for that play-off place. If we lose, it’s probably our season over.”
Top Ten Articles
Members of staff at Wexham Park Hospital have tested positive for coronavirus, and the elderly care ward affected has been closed to new admissions for two weeks.