Sun, 20
23 °C
Mon, 21
22 °C
Tue, 22
23 °C

Marlow FC rue missed penalty as Hanwell Town complete second half comeback

Marlow fell just short in their attempts to inflict a third league defeat on South Central leaders Hanwell Town on Saturday, losing 3-2, despite holding a slender advantage over them at the interval.

Goals from Kameron English and Devontae Romeo had given the Blues a commanding first half lead, and they could have been out of sight had English netted from the spot later in the half, according to manager Mark Bartley.

They would live to rue that miss from the penalty spot as Harry Tamplin halved the deficit for Hanwell just before the break, and that was enough to give them the momentum to come back and win the game in the second half.

Harry Rush levelled matters just after the restart and Rob Laney completed the comeback just after the hour mark.

Bartley admitted he was frustrated to see the side crumble in the second half, having made such an impressive start to the game.

“I think we should have been out of sight. We got ourselves in front at 2-0 and the pivotal moment was when we missed a penalty,” said Bartley.

“I’m disappointed with that and we weren’t happy we couldn’t win the game. When we watched the goals back, we were disappointed with all of them.

"I felt that we were by far the better side and clearly in the second half we slowed the tempo of the game down and that didn’t help us. When we play the game at a high tempo, that’s when we get in the ascendancy.”

Bartley insists his side will learn from the defeat and iron out their errors in time for Waltham Abbey’s visit Oak Tree Road on Saturday.

“It’s football and you can’t get too high on your victories and too low on your defeats. It’s all about what you need to correct or replicate. We know what we need to correct and we will prepare as best as we can for what we know is the threat of Waltham Abbey.”

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles