Thu, 28
21 °C
Fri, 29
22 °C
Sat, 30
23 °C

Slough Town overpower Flackwell Heath to progress in FA Cup

Flackwell Heath bowed out of the FA Cup on Saturday as they were overpowered 3-0 by Slough Town in the second qualifying round.

The visitors started brightly at Wilks Park, with Sam Togwell having his downward header pushed over by home keeper Watkins after just three minutes.

A quarter of an hour later and the ball was in the Flackwell net as Ben Harris finished off a smart move by the Rebels, but assistant Graham Pearce had his flag raised for offside.

Just after the half hour mark, Watkins was called into action again. George Wells won the ball down the wing for Slough and released Max Worsfold, who struck from the narrowest of angles but had his effort tipped wide.

The deadlock was broken on 36 minutes. A corner came in and Ben Harris headed goalward but it hit James Burrell.

The rebound was struck by Simon Dunn and blocked again before the ball fell to ex-Flackwell youth team player Mark Nisbet.

He twisted and turned on the edge of the penalty area and was brought down by Josh Baines.

Harris stepped up for the resulting free-kick and curled the ball over the wall and in to the left-hand corner of the net.

Slough were holding a good defensive line, catching the Heathens offside on many occasions before the offside trap was beaten just before the half time whistle, Simeon Weekes sliding in Josh Baines who was disrupted by the Rebel’s defence.

The opening period of the second half was all Slough.

The Heathens sat in, looking to frustrate the Rebels. It was in the 64th minute that Ben Harris volleyed the ball into the back of the Heathens’ net for his second.

Flackwell’s only chances in the second half came in quick succession. Substitute Leius Sinclair firing straight at Jack Turner from tight angles.

On 81 minutes the game was put out of sight. Veteran Manny Williams struck well from five yards before the game petered out.

Flackwell, who are now £11,890 richer after their FA Cup endeavours, now focus on their run of cup games after their 3-2 Hellenic Premier win over Windsor on Tuesday night.

The Heathens’ next game is away at Abingdon United on Saturday (3pm KO) in the Challenge Cup.


HEATHENS: Watkins, Ushiro-Lumb, Eaton, Burrell, Ceesay, Edwards, Baines , Taylor, Weekes, Howell, Mansfield.

Subs: Sinclair, Layne and Gregory

REBELS: Turner, Jackman, Wells, S.Togwell, L.Togwell, Worsfold, B.Harris, W.Harris, Nisbet, Roberts, Dunn.

Subs: Bird, Fraser,

Attendance: 484

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles