Football round-up: Controversial late penalty consigns Slough Town to narrow defeat against St Albans

Ben Harris


Slough Town 2, St Albans City 3

A controversial second half penalty sent Slough Town spinning to a third defeat of the season as they lost 3-2 at home to St Albans City.

The Rebels have made an indifferent start to the season in terms of results, even if some of their performances have been encouraging. But after fighting back from 2—0 down to draw level at the breakthrough Ben Harris’s brace, they were undone by a Shaun Jeffers’ late penalty.

This was a third defeat of the season for the Rebels, and it leaves them 18th in the table with only four points from five games.

St Albans came into the game with an almost identical record to the Rebels, but they settled quicker at Arbour Park, flashing an early shot wide through Dawson while Romeo Akinola tested Jonathan North in the early stages.

The unfortunate Ryan Bird was then stretchered off after landing awkwardly in the centre circle after challenging for the ball in the air. The extent of the injury isn’t yet known, but joint manager Neil Baker tweeted that he was absolutely gutted for Bird, who may now face a spell on the sidelines.

To add insult to injury, St Albans then raced into a two-goal advantage as Liam Sole and then Jeffers netted within a couple of minutes of each other. Sole blasted home in the 19th minute before Jeffers ran onto a brilliant through ball to beat North two minutes later.

Slough had been stunned by the blows, but they bounced back off the ropes when Harris picked out the bottom corner to make it 2-1 10 minutes later. He then turned home Max Worsfold’s low cross in the 38th minute to level the scores, while Tom Derry came close to completing a remarkable first half turnaround when he fired over from Joe Lawal’s cross in the 40th minute.

Five minutes after the restart the Rebels created a great chance to take the lead for the first time when Derry released Lawal, but the young players’ shot lacked the power to beat Johnson. It was the start of a good spell for the Rebels, but chances came and went for Eitel Goueth, Derry and Worsfold and, sure enough, the sucker punch arrived when Akinola was fouled on the edge of the area and the referee pointed to the spot, much to the frustration of the Rebels’ players and management team. Jeffers kept his cool to roll the ball past North for his second of the game and St Albans took home all three points.


Marlow 1, Westfield 0

Marlow moved into the play-off places after beating Westfield 1-0 to make it three wins from three in the Isthmian League South Central Division.

The Blues, who are yet to concede a goal this season in league or cup, won the game with a strike from Nmamdi Nwachuku in the 54th minute.

The result lifts the Blues to fourth in the table only a point behind leaders Bracknell Town having played a game less.

They’re next in action on Tuesday night (September 14) at home to Northwood.

Windsor cruised through in the FA Vase after a 3-0 home win over Kensington and EA.


Windsor 3, Kensington & EA 0

The Royalists took the lead through Ajanlekoko in the 16th as he turned home Jaggers’ corner kick, and they doubled their advantage shortly after the interval through Excellence Muhemba from Sam Butcher’s assist.

The visitor’s afternoon was made all the harder when Mohamed was shown a red card in the 67th minute and Windsor made certain of their place in the next round when Lindell Stewart slotted home a 95th minute penalty kick.

Windsor are back in action on Tuesday evening when they visit Ascot United in the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup.


Burnham 6, Bedford FC 1

Burnham also strolled through to the next round of the FA Vase with a 6-1 home win over Bedford FC.

The Blues led 2-1 at the break with Jayden Moore hitting the second after 38 minutes. Bedford pulled a goal back before the interval before Burnham raced away with things in the second half. Dean Quevani followed in on his penalty to make it 3-1, Melvin Nsomi added a fourth and Joey Gritt got the fifth before Ben Van Aurich got his name of the scoresheet to make it 6-1.

Holyport conceded in the 88th minute to bow of the FA Vase to Broadfields United this afternoon.

An even cup tie was settled with just a few minutes to play by a brilliant finish from the visitors. Port will look to bounce back at Sandhurst Town in the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup on Tuesday evening.


Flackwell Heath 1, MK Irish FC 1

Flackwell Heath had three points snatched away from them at the very death as MK Irish FC netted a 97th minute equaliser.

The Heathens must have thought they had their first victory on the board when Adam Thomas netted in the 65th minute, and they saw out the remaining 25 minutes plus six minutes of stoppage time. But Irish have done well so far this season, winning two of their opening four matches, and they scored through an unmarked header in the 97th minute to grab a share of the spoils.

It leaves the Rebels in 17th with only one point from their opening four matches.

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles