Mixed emotions for Bird as Slough Town fightback to draw with Welling

There were mixed emotions for Slough Town’s management team and players after they fought back to draw 2-2 with Welling United on Saturday, but the man who netted the Rebels’ leveller with a towering 89th minute header, Ryan Bird, thinks the visitors should have picked up all three points.

The Rebels have made an indifferent start to the National League South season and sit 18th in the table after four matches on only four points. But it could have been very different had Eitel Goueth put away a late penalty in their recent home game with Chippenham Town, a match the hosts went on to lose 1-0 to an injury-time sucker punch goal from Ross Stearn. While on Saturday they created more than enough chances to have come away from Welling with all three points. Had just one of those results gone their way, the Rebels would likely have been sitting in the play-off places, heading into Saturday’s home game with St Albans City (3pm kickoff).

Aaron Kuhl marked his comeback with a driven finish from just inside the area to get Slough off to the perfect start on Saturday, and Tom Derry went close to a second with a header that drifted just wide of the post midway through the half. Derry later sent another good chance over the bar and Welling capitalised in the third minute of stoppage time when Stevenson fired past Jonathan North from the edge of the box. Ten minutes after the restart they grabbed another when Allen won a footrace with North to latch onto a ball over the top. He pushed the ball past the stranded keeper and slotted into an empty net.

Goueth missed a couple of good chances to restore parity before Bird rose highest at the back post to plant a header beyond the Welling keeper. The Rebels could have nicked it in stoppage time, but Ben Harris’ firm header was straight at Smith and the hosts survived.

“I think we should definitely have been coming here and taking all three points,” Bird said in an interview for the club.

“We got a great goal early on from Kuhly (Aaron Kuhl) and we battered them for 40 minutes.

“They got a goal just before half-time which gave them a lift, and they came out for the second half flying.

“We couldn’t get hold of them, and they scored again. “If you look at the goal they scored from our throw in and they broke on us.

“It happened a couple of times in the first half as well and we should have reacted to it a lot better, but we’ve scored at the end and Ben (Harris)could have won it.

“A great header and he’s connected with it too well in the end, if he gets a little flick on it, it’s 3-2. But we’ll take a point away from home.

“In the second half we had a lot of chances, shots being blocked, a little bit of bad luck.

“We’ll take a point here, but we should really have been taking all three.”

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles