Fri, 10
17 °C
Sat, 11
20 °C
Sun, 12
22 °C

Football round-up: Slough Town salvage FA Cup replay with Chippenham Town thanks to Bird's injury-time header

Chippenham Town 3, Slough Town 3 (FA Cup third qualifying round)

Ryan Bird headed home a dramatic late equaliser to ensure Slough Town’s name remains in the hat for the next round of the FA Cup.

The Rebels were losing 3-2 at Chippenham Town heading into the final stages of injury-time when Bird rose highest to score his first goal for the club from a corner.

Slough, who have been to the second round proper of the FA Cup in the last two seasons, fell behind in the 37th minute. But they were behind for long, Sam Togwell following up to smash the ball home from close range in the 40th minute after Ben Harris hit the post from a free-kick.

The Rebels then snatched another before the break, Ben Harris making the most of Matt Lench’s free-kick to score late in the half.

If their response at the end of the half was superb, joint managers Jon Underwood and Neil Baker would have been less impressed by the side’s second half display. Big chances were missed by Warren Harris and Ben Harris before the home side levelled matters on the hour mark, a fantastic strike that arrowed into the top of Jack Turner’s goal.

The end to end nature of the cup tie continued before Chippenham looked like they’d snatched a winner when a shot deflected off Sam Togwell and wrong-footed Turner in the 76th minute.

Chippenham looked like holding on when Max Worsfold first headed, and then shot, straight at the keeper in the closing stages, while Mark Nisbet was also foiled by the hosts’ keeper in injury-time. But, when George Wells’ rocket was deflected behind for a corner, Bird chose the perfect moment to grab his first goal for the club and snatch a replay at the death.

Afterwards Underwood tweeted: “Crazy game that left us all with a mixture of emotions. But the main ones for me are relief to be in the hat and above all delight for Birdy.”

The side’s will replay for a place in the fourth qualifying round at Arbour Park on Tuesday night.

The Rebels will then get back to league action at home to Billericay Town on Saturday, October 12. 


Marlow 1, Bedfont Sports 1

Marlow’s recent struggles continued as they were held to a 1-1 draw at Oak Tree Road by Bedfont Sports.

The Blues fought back for a share of the points thanks to Kelvin Bossman’s 56th minute penalty, having fallen behind to Andy Ali’s 47th minute strike for Sports.

Marlow are 12th in the Isthmian South Central Division ahead of next Saturday’s league trip to Waltham Abbey. 


Royal Wootton Bassett Town 2, Windsor 4

Windsor picked up an impressive second league win under new boss Mark Cooper as they thumped Royal Wootton Bassett Town 4-2 away from home.

The visitors took the lead through Mahumba’s 18th minute strike, Sonny Wheeler with the Royalists’ assist but only took control of the encounter after the interval. 

Having been pegged back before half-time, Andy Ingram scored from a free-kick to make it 2-1 on the hour mark before Kingsley Etefia’s goal made it 3-1 10 minutes later.

Former player/coach Luke Brooks-Smith then wrapped up the points when he turned home Dylan Ive’s corner kick with 20 minutes to play.

Windsor have moved up to ninth in the table and are in cup action on Tuesday night at Wantage Town in the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup. They next host Lydney Town in the league next Saturday. 


Bishop’s Cleeve 2, Burnham 1

Sam Coles fired Burnham ahead but the Blues conceded late to lose 2-1 at Bishop’s Cleeve this afternoon.

Having taken the lead in the 14th minute, Burnham held onto it for only a couple of minutes before Davies netted the equaliser from the penalty spot.

The side’s looked like they’d play out a draw and share the points, but Cleeve carved Burnham open in the 88th minute for Iddles to grab a late winner.

The Blues are second from bottom of the Premier Division table ahead of next weekend’s home game against Virginia Water. 


Holyport 7, Langley 4

Holyport thumped Langley 7-4 to give their Hellenic League Division 1 East campaign lift off at Summerleaze Village this afternoon.

They got off to a perfect start thanks to Fabian Driffill’s first minute strike, he added another one in the 57th minute after goals from Alan Akerman (12), and a hat-trick from Steven Deverall (41, 47, 65) had put Port in cruise control.

Akerman then put the gloss on proceedings with a seventh in the 93rd minute.

Holyport are 10th in the table – but still unbeaten after five matches – ahead of their next game, away to Sandhurst Town in the Berks & Bucks Senior Trophy next Saturday. 


Wokingham & Emmbrook 3, Marlow United 0

Marlow United’s fine start to the season hit a road bump as they were beaten 3-0 away at Wokingham & Emmbrook.

All three goals came after the break with Scope netting twice and White curling home a third.

Afterwards manager James Pritchard tweeted: “Disappointing performance today from us. We never got going. Well done to Dan Bateman and his Wokingham side, a strong second half performance deserving of the win. We regroup now and move on.”

United remain second in the Hellenic League Division 1 East table despite today’s defeat. They’re next due to play at Winslow United in the Berks & Bucks Senior Trophy next Saturday (October 12). 


Wycombe Wanderers 3, Peterborough United 3

Adebayo Akinfenwa made it four goals in three games as his late equaliser earned Wycombe Wanderers a 3-3 draw with Peterborough United at Adams Park.

Akinfenwa kept his nerve to roll home a 93rd minute penalty after the Chairboys had been reduced to 10 men by Thompson’s sending off for a second bookable offence in the 83rd minute.

Wycombe were always chasing in this one having fallen 2-0 behind to goals from Eisa and Knight in the first half.

Akinfenwa nodded them back into contention with a header from Dominic Gape’s cross in the 56th minute before Kent turned the ball past his own keeper from Grimmer’s cross to make it 2-2. Ivan Toney fired home what looked like being the winner in the 70th minute, but the Chairboys can never be written off this season and hit back with a second goal from ‘The Beast’ in injury-time.

Wycombe are second in League 1, four points behind leaders Ipswich Town. They’re next set to face Sunderland in the league at home on October 19. 


Bristol City 1, Reading 0

Reading endured another frustrating afternoon after conceding early on in a 1-0 defeat at Bristol City.

City grabbed the game’s only goal in the 12th minute through Diedhiou’s low finish into the bottom corner.

Defeat leaves the Royals third from bottom and in the relegation zone ahead of next Saturday’s home game against Preston North End. 

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles