Thu, 28
21 °C
Fri, 29
22 °C
Sat, 30
23 °C

Football round-up: Slough Town pick up first point of season at home to Weymouth

Dan Roberts returned for Slough after suspension


Slough Town 1, Weymouth 1

Slough Town picked up their first point of the season at home to Weymouth last night to finally get their campaign up and running.

Joint manager Jon Underwood said it felt ‘like the old Slough Town had turned up’ for the contest, which saw the Rebels fight back from going a goal behind.

Baggie netted to put Weymouth in front in only the fifth minute, cashing in after Jack Turner had saved well from McQuoid and George Wells had tried to scramble clear.

But the home side got themselves back on level terms when Matt Lench was felled in the area midway through the half and Ben Harris smashed home from the spot for his second goal in as many games.

Both sides created chances in the second half – and the Rebels had to see out the final 15 minutes with only 10 men after Francis Amartey was sent off - but the game finished honours even.

Underwood reflected: “A hard earned point against a very good Weymouth side. Felt like the old Slough Town had turned up tonight which was all we asked for. On to another tough one at the weekend.”

Neil Baker added: “Up and running with a good point against a decent Weymouth side. Been a tough start to the season with a lot to contend with, but hopefully can push on now.”

The Rebels visit Maidstone United on Saturday, 3pm kick-off.


Burnham 2, Tring Athletic 1 (FA Cup extra preliminary round). 

Burnham are through to the next round of the FA Cup after beating Tring Athletic FC 2-1 on an emotional night for the club at The Gore.

Before kick-off the club held a minute’s silence for their u18s and first team player Luca Skivington, who died in a car crash last week.

Tring Athletic also presented flowers before the game in memory of Luca, who was Blues’ chairman Glenn Skivington’s son.

Burnham took the lead in the 17th minute through Aaron Berry’s finish before Joe Blount put the home side 2-1 up, after Matthew Mitchell’s 40th minute leveller. Tring finished the game with only nine men due to injuries and a red card. Burnham also missed from the penalty spot in the final 10 minutes

Afterwards player Ryan Tackley said on Twitter: “Great feeling to win tonight in the FA Cup after a very emotional week for Burnham FC. Well done to the lads and thanks for the respect Tring.”

Paul Shone’s side advance to a tie against Slimbridge in the preliminary round.


Holyport 2, AFC Aldermaston 1

Holyport kicked off their Hellenic League Division 1 East campaign with a hard-fought 2-1 win over AFC Aldermaston last night.

Aldermaston came into the league clash with more game time under their belts, having already played three league games, picking up two points in the process.

But Derek Sweetman’s side took the lead on the half-hour mark, Steven Deverall making the most of Aldermaston’s inability to clear their lines to fire home from a cross.

Gary Smith headed the visitors level in the 60th minute before Fabian Driffill fired home the winner from a tight angle to seal a scrappy win with 13 minutes to play.

Port are back in Challenge Cup action at Didcot Town Development on Saturday before visiting Chalvey Sports in the league on Tuesday night.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles