Thu, 04
16 °C
Fri, 05
16 °C
Sat, 06
14 °C

Football round-up: Slough Town still without a point after defeat at Concord Rangers

Slough Town goalscorer Ben Harris


Concord Rangers 2, Slough Town 1

Slough Town’s joint management team refused to blame injuries or bad luck after two Decarrey Sheriff goals condemned them to defeat at Concord Rangers this afternoon.

The Rebels travelled to Concord missing a raft of first team regulars, and the game was only three minutes old when Decarrey Sheriff put the hosts in front.

The Rebels responded with a header from Guy Hollis that struck the crossbar just after the half-hour mark.

And it looked like their bad luck might just be turning when Ben Harris netted their first goal of the season in the 49th minute.

Unfortunately, it proved a false dawn as Sheriff restored Rangers’ lead less than 10 minutes later and the home side held on for their third win of the campaign.

Without a win or a point to their name so far the Rebels sit second from bottom of the table on goal difference from Hampton & Richmond Borough.

They’ll look to turn around their disastrous start at home to eighth placed Weymouth on Tuesday.

Afterwards Jon Underwood tweeted: “Another defeat and another shocking goal to give away. No excuses and no defending our players who will need to improve very quickly.”


Oxhey Jets 0, Flackwell Heath 4 (FA Cup extra preliminary round). 

Flackwell Heath are through to the preliminary round of the FA Cup after a 4-0 victory over Oxhey Jets this afternoon.

The Jets shaded the opening exchanges but Heath grabbed a 12th minute lead through Josh Edwards’ header. Edwards then returned the favour for Howell to calmly put the visitors 2-0 in front.

Flackwell looked pretty comfortable throughout the second half but didn’t make sure of their progress until the final five minutes when Mo Ceesay scored a great header to make it 3-0. Sinclair then rounded things off a couple of minutes before the end after being played in by Muzinga.

The Heathens are away to Brackley Town Saints on Wednesday.


Windsor 0, Reading City 3 (FA Cup extra preliminary round). 

Windsor’s poor start to the season continued as they were thumped 3-0 by Reading City at Stag Meadow to exit the FA Cup.

The goals all arrived after the break with Lee and Reid scoring to make it 2-0 before former player Matty Stockill scored the third with 12 minutes to play.

To compound matters striker Rob Lazarczuk and George Gould were both sent off in the final minutes as Windsor finished the game with nine men.

Windsor are next in league action at home to Holmer Green on August 20. This Tuesday’s game against Burnham has been postponed.


Bristol Rovers 0, Wycombe Wanderers 0

A solid display from the Chairboys saw Gareth Ainsworth’s side play out a goalless draw at Bristol Rovers this afternoon.

In a game of few chances the closest the visitors came was in the final minutes when Jack Grimmer’s close range effort was blocked by Tom Davies.

Afterwards Ainsworth reflected: “It wasn’t a great spectacle but it’s a good point.”

Unbeaten Wycombe are fourth in League 1 after two matches. They host Milton Keynes next Saturday.


Hull City 2, Reading 1

Hull City resisted Reading’s second half fightback to run out 2-1 winners at the KCOM Stadium.

Goals from Jarred Bowen and Jackson Irvine put the Tigers two-goals to the good at the break, but Lucas Joao pulled one back with a goal on his Royals’ debut after the interval.

There were three immediate debuts for the Royals, with Lucas Boye, Joao and Pele all coming into Jose Gomes’ starting XI.

The defeat leaves Reading third from bottom after kicking off their Championship campaign with two straight defeats.  They’re next in action at home to Cardiff City on Sunday, August 18. 12pm kick-off.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles