Thu, 21
15 °C
Fri, 22
14 °C
Sat, 23
11 °C

Football round-up: Hot Coles nets twice as Slough Town come back for a point against promotion rivals Kings Lynn 

Slough Town 2, Kings Lynn Town 2

Perry Coles netted an 87th minute equaliser as Slough came from behind to rescue a 2-2 draw with second placed Kings Lynn Town.

In front of 822 fans at Arbour Park Slough got off to a perfect start when Coles lifted the ball over Alex Street and into the net in the first minute.

A sixth win on the spin briefly looked on the cards for the Rebels, but they were pegged back in the 15th minute when Cameron King poked the ball past Jack Turner from close range. The Linnets, who’d opened up a six point gap over fourth placed Slough before kick-off then took the lead on the stroke of half-time, when King picked out the top corner with a dipping effort from 30 yards.

The home side thought they’d levelled in the 80th minute, when James Dobson’s corner was touched home by Nathan Smart, but the linesman spotted that the defender had put the ball in with his arm. The pressure continued to build from the hosts, however, and they were rewarded with three minutes to play when Coles got in front of his marker and sent a low shot beyond Street to make it 2-2. Coles might have won it at the death when he turned and sent a low shot on goal, but Street held on in a frantic finish to the game. Slough go to Hitchin Town on Monday night, before hosting MK Dons in the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup semi-finals on Wednesday. 


Flackwell Heath 1, Brackley Town Saints 2

Flackwell Heath were reduced to 10 men as they lost 2-1 at home to Brackley Town Saints.

The Heathens edged in front in the first half through Charlie Malin’s strike, but the Saints levelled things up from the penalty spot, before taking advantage when the home side went down to 10 in the second half. David Lyons looked to have earned a point for Marcus Richardson’s men when he saved a second spot kick for the visitors, but they managed to get another before the end to inflict a rare home defeat on the Heathens. They go to Stag Meadow on Tuesday to take on rivals Windsor. 


Longlevens 3, Windsor 0

Jaybe RiKennedy’s goal on the stroke of half-time turned the game decisively, as Windsor went down to a 3-0 defeat at Longlevens.

The Royalists held their hosts until the very last seconds of the first half, when Kennedy found the net to make it 1-0. Things got a lot worse for Mick Woodham’s men when Myron Turner made it 2-0 with around 20 minutes to go, and their hopes of a comeback were all but extinguished when David Rich scored to make it 3-0 with seven minutes to play.

Windsor host Flackwell Heath on Tuesday. 


Brimscombe & Thrupp 4, Burnham 1

Burnham’s hopes of avoiding the drop took another dent this afternoon, as they were beaten 4-1 at Brimscombe & Thrupp.

The Blues are in desperate need of points if they want to guide themselves away from the bottom of the Hellenic Premier Division table, but they failed to improve on their performances against Thatcham Town this week, as Paul Shone’s men lost for the third game in a row.

Nash fired the home side in front in the 38th minute, holding off his defender before slotting home, and Burnham’s chances of coming away from the match with something to show for their efforts were further hindered when Ash Caldwell netted from the penalty spot just a minute after the break.

Ollie Pitt trebled Brimscombe’s lead in the 50th before Alfie Grant pulled a goal back for the Blues. Jack Smith headed home Brimscombe’s fourth with a couple of minutes to go. Burnham visit Lydney Town on Tuesday and host Oxford City Nomads on Thursday in a crucial week which will surely decide their Hellenic Premier Division status. They still trail Woodley United by three points, but are now eight points behind Highmoor Ibis after they beat Fairford Town 3-1 today. 


Wokingham & Emmbrook 3, Holyport 4

Paul Rake netted a hat-trick as Holyport beat Wokingham & Emmbrook 4-3, less than 24 hours after bowing out of the Supplementary Cup at Highworth Town on Friday night.

On Friday they were guilty of showing their Hellenic Premier Division promotion chasers too much respect, and they went down to a 3-0 defeat.

But, playing their third game in five days, Barry Rake freshened up his side for their clash against the Sumas.

Port conceded in the opening minutes, but they battled back well in the first half, with Fabian Driffill and Paul Rake on target. The open, entertaining nature of the clash continued in the second half, with both sides scoring twice, Port crucially through Rake’s brace as he completed his hat-trick. Their hunt for fifth place in Hellenic Division 1 East continues with Tuesday’s visit to AFC Aldermaston.


Reading 2, Sunderland 2

Yann Kermorgant’s late header earned Reading a share of the spoils with relegation haunted Sunderland at the Madejski Stadium this afternoon.

Paul Clement’s Royals took the lead through Liam Kelly’s first half penalty, after Bodvarsson was taken down in the box.

But Chris Coleman’s Black Cats levelled matters up a few minutes after the restart when Paddy McNair drilled the ball home from long range. They looked to have turned the game on its head when McGeady’s free-kick was glanced home by Lee Cattermole, but Kermorgant came on for Kelly a few minutes later and he was the man who met Chris Gunter’s cross with a fine header to draw the hosts level with around 10 minutes to play.

Reading, 19th in the Championship, next go to Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.


Yeovil Town 0, Wycombe Wanderers 1

Wycombe Wanderers secured a play-off place at the very least, with today’s 1-0 win at Yeovil, but Gareth Ainsworth’s men still have their eyes on automatic promotion.

It looked like being an afternoon of frustration, as the Chairboys were held by Yeovil for nearly 80 minutes, but Randell Williams made a name for himself with a great hit, and acrobatic celebration to match to earn the visitors all three points.

In truth the Wanderers were far from their best, but they dug in to collect another vitally important three points. With four league matches left they sit third on 77 points, four clear of fourth placed Notts County, and six behind Luton Town with a game in hand.

After the game Ainsworth said: “I said to all the Yeovil players that they didn’t deserve to lose that. They had the lion’s share of the chances. But Randell took his opportunity. I had to blast my lads at half-time. We have a real chance. We’ve earned it. But we will keep working as hard as we possibly can.”

Wycombe visit Lincoln City on Tuesday night. 


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Recent

Most read

Top Ten Articles