Thu, 13
4 °C
Fri, 14
3 °C
Sat, 15
8 °C

Football round-up: Slough Town see off Maldon & Tiptree to make progress in FA Trophy

Maldon & Tiptree 1, Slough Town 4

James Dobson netted a second half double as Slough Town saw off Maldon & Tiptree to go through in the FA Trophy third qualifying round.

Matt Lench put the Rebels en route for the next round when he netted his seventh in three games four minutes before half-time.

The ball fell kindly for the former Hitchin man around 30 yards out, and with the Maldon keeper caught out of position, he skilfully steered it into the bottom of the net.

Maldon levelled three minutes into the second half when Gondoh got on the end of a long ball and slipped it beyond Jack Turner. But the Rebels weren’t held down for long and Dobson got his first of the afternoon in the 61st minute when he cut inside his man and picked out the top corner. His second followed 11 minutes later, a fierce strike from the edge of the box that slipped through the Maldon keeper’s hands.

Lee Togwell then put the gloss on proceedings when he played a neat one two and finished clinically in the 93rd minute.

Afterwards Jon Underwood tweeted: “Another tricky FA Trophy game. Another 4-1 win. Won’t ever get bored of winning.”


Marlow 3, Cambridge City 3

Marlow conceded a 90th minute penalty as Cambridge City claimed a late point in a topsy-turvy battle at Oak Tree Road.

Mark Bartley’s Blues were on the verge of staging a remarkable fightback on home turf, when Jordan Brown struck to make it 3-2 in the 80th minute.

However, Ryan Sharman kept his cool from the penalty spot in the 90th minute to salvage a point for City and completed his hat-trick in the process.

City had taken the lead through Sharman in the ninth minute before Marlow had levelled through Jahson Downes’ strike just before the half-hour mark. Sharman netted his second to give the visitors a slender half-time advantage before the Blues turned the game on its head after the interval.

First Allen Bossman fired them level in the 73rd minute, then Jordan Brown scored what looked like being a winner with 10 minutes to play. But Cambridge kept going and were rewarded for their efforts when Sharman completed his treble from the penalty spot.


Longlevens 0, Flackwell Heath 2

Dean Allen and Elliot Derby grabbed the goals as Flackwell Heath won for the first time under new caretaker boss Sean Kelleher.

Allen put the visitors in front in the first half before Derby completed a satisfactory away display with the second for manager-less Flackwell after the break.

The Heathens have started the search for a new manager after Paul Shone was relieved from his post by chairman Terry Glynn last week.


Burnham 1, Fairford Town 3

Burnham were once again beaten at home as bottom club Fairford stunned the Blues at The Gore.

Alan Paris’ side came into the game looking to build on Monday night’s 2-1 win over Woodley United. But they fell behind to a 25th minute strike from Dan Bailey and never really recovered.

The Blues levelled matters in the 66th minute but parity was shortlived as Fairford scored through Aaron Dainton two minutes later. The visitors then missed a penalty when Ben Saunders scooped his spot kick over the bar, but it mattered little as Bailey registerd his second of the game with 12 minutes to go to confirm three vital points for the visitors.

Burnham are 17th after today’s loss and Fairford move off the bottom of the Hellenic Premier Division, plunging Ascot United to the bottom.


Holyport 2, Bicester 2

Alan Akerman netted a brace as Holyport picked up an impressive point at home to promotion chasing Bicester at Summerleaze Village.


Morecambe 2, Wycombe Wanderers 1

Wycombe Wanderers paid the price for some sloppy defending as they went down 2-1 at Morecambe this afternoon.

Adebayo Akinfenwa pulled a goal back for the Chairboys late on but Steve Old and Adam McGurk’s first half goals sealed the points for the Shrimps.

Manager Gareth Ainsworth said: “We have paid the price with some sloppy defending, so we will be working hard this week to put that right for Crawley.

“Bayo has come up with his 10th of the season, but we have left ourselves with a mountain to climb with a poor first half display.”


Windsor are in action at Erith Town tomorrow (Sunday) in the second round of the FA Vase. 


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Recent

Most read

Top Ten Articles