09:00PM, Sunday 15 August 2021
“I don’t think it gets greater than taking classic snacks and combining them with other classic snacks,” says rapper and foodie Big Zuu.
“I’ve always wondered how far can we take PBJ. Well, my friend, we’ve taken it to the next level. That jam on the peanut butter cheesecake is basically mouth heaven.”
Big Zuu’s PBJ cheesecake recipe
Vegetable oil, for greasing
150g digestive biscuits
75g butter, melted
170g smooth peanut butter
225g cream cheese
100g caster sugar
2tsp vanilla extract
225ml double cream
40g icing sugar, sifted
60g frozen raspberries
100g seedless raspberry jam
40g salted peanuts, crushed
1. Grease a 20cm springform tin with vegetable oil. To make the base, put the biscuits in a plastic food bag and crush to a fine crumb using a rolling pin or pulse in a food processor until crumbly, then stir in the melted butter and salt to make a sandy mixture.
2. Using a spoon, press this into the bottom of the tin to make a smooth, even base. Chill in the freezer while you make the filling.
3. Using a stand mixer or hand whisk, combine the peanut butter, cream cheese, caster sugar and vanilla until smooth and well mixed. In a separate bowl, lightly whip the cream and icing sugar together until very softly whipped, then fold into the cream cheese mixture and mix until well combined.
4. Spoon the filling into the tin and spread over the base to make a smooth, even layer. Chill for four to six hours in the fridge.
5. To make the jam drizzle, heat together the frozen raspberries and jam in a saucepan over a medium heat. Bring to the boil and cook for five minutes or so until thickened, then remove from the heat and cool completely in a bowl.
6. When you are ready to serve, remove the cheesecake from the tin, drizzle over the jam drizzle and sprinkle with the peanuts.
Big Zuu’s Big Eats by Big Zuu is published by Ebury Press, priced £22. Photography by Ellis Parrinder. Available now.
A student from Maidenhead who suspects she was spiked with a needle on a night out after waking up in hospital the next day has urged people to report similar incidents to the police.