Sun, 19
6 °C
Mon, 20
6 °C
Tue, 21
5 °C

Football round-up: Marlow United boss Pritchard admits defeat at Wokingham & Emmbrook wasn't his side's best day at the office

Hellenic League Division 1 East

Marlow United FC

Marlow United’s manager James Pritchard admitted last Saturday’s 3-0 defeat at Wokingham & Emmbrook wasn’t his side’s best day at the office.

He said the side, who’d moved into second in Hellenic League Division 1 East before kick-off, simply weren’t clinical enough in the final third with the side not managing a shot on goal until the 88th minute.

But, despite the defeat, he’s pleased with where the club are and believes they have a good foundation to build on in the remainder of the season.

On Saturday they visit Spartan Division 1 side Winslow United in the Berks & Bucks Senior Trophy.

“It wasn’t our best day at the office,” said Pritchard. “It was a tricky game, it always is against Wokingham, who are a good, hard-working side.

“We just weren’t quite at the races. I think the last few couple of games, we’ve just kind of muddled through.

“We’ve had one or two injuries that have sort of hurt us a little bit and I think we faced a better quality opposition on Saturday and we just didn’t have enough on the day.”

The game was goalless at the break, giving little indication of what was to follow. But the loss of Hardie to a hamstring injury would prove pivotal as the game progressed.

The second half was only four minutes old when Wokingham took the lead, Luke Scope escaping his marker to guide the ball beyond Alex Partridge from 10 yards out.

Six minutes later they had the game as good as won when Scope headed home his, and Wokingham’s, second from Rushforth’s cross.

Worse was to follow for United who lost centre half Jack Woodbridge to injury. Wokingham then rubbed salt in the wounds late on when Jake Peach scored a peach of a goal, curling the ball across Partridge and into the back of the net. Chris Hurst was shown a straight red card in the closing minutes to add to Marlow’s misery.


Holyport FC

Holyport thumped Langley 7-4 to give their Hellenic League Division 1 East campaign lift off at Summerleaze Village this afternoon.

They got off to a perfect start thanks to Fabian Driffill’s first minute strike, he added another one in the 57th minute after goals from Alan Akerman (12), and a hat-trick from Steven Deverall (41, 47, 65) had put Port in cruise control.

Akerman then put the gloss on proceedings with a seventh in the 93rd minute.

Holyport are 10th in the table – but still unbeaten after five matches – ahead of their next game, away to Sandhurst Town in the Berks & Bucks Senior Trophy next Saturday. 


Thames Valley Premier Division

Cookham Dean FC

Two controversial moments counted against Cookham Dean as they were beaten 4-3 by Wraysbury in the Thames Valley Premier Division.

Brandon Baker-Timms was adamant he’d won the ball when the referee awarded a second half free kick from which Wraysbury made it 2-2.

Dean managed to restore their advantage through Lee Hawkins’ penalty, but a fourth goal for Callum Kitchen was ruled out – for brushing against Dan Stacey on its way into the net – and Wraysbury took full advantage to claim a win that looked pretty unlikely at half-time.

Dean had taken the lead through Johnny Walter’s 25th minute strike and a second followed for Hawkins from the spot after Walters had been brought down.

Wraysbury finished within a minute of the restart to make it 2-1 and then took full advantage of some generous refereeing decisions to turn the tide in their favour.

At 3-2 to Dean they levelled matters with six minutes to play following a goalmouth scramble before poor defending from their disgruntled hosts handed them a chance to score the winner with two minutes left on the clock. On Saturday Dean host Chalvey in the Berks & Bucks Senior Trophy.


Thames Valley Sunday League

Maidenhead Nomads 1, Singh Sabha 2

Singh Sabha’s Sunday finally got their first league points of the season and got a win after a scrappy 2-1 victory over a tricky Maidenhead Nomads side.

Sabha went into the game against Nomads still looking for a win in the league and started the game well but failed to take any of their early chances, despite some good football Sabha failed to create any clear cut chances.

Slightly depleted from the week before Sabha still bolstered a strong side. Despite the possession dominance it was Nomads who took the lead as a long ball over the top by Nomads was misjudged by the Sabha defence the Nomads striker got in behind to nicely finish past the Sabha keeper.

A much needed wake up call for Sabha as they hit back straight away after a nice move involving Pritpal Raju and Mubarak Bashir, Raju slipped in Hassan Mahmood who took a nice touch past the defender before firing past the Nomads keeper.

Second half was much more of a scrappy affair both sides going at it but not creating many chances and it was a moment of brilliance that won Sabha the game as Pritpal Raju picked up the loose ball before beating his man and then unleashing a smart finish into the bottom corner giving the Nomads keeper no chance.

It was a well deserved goal by Raju who was a constant threat all game. Nomads kept attacking to equalise but Sabha defended well as they restricted Nomads no half chances.

They will now turn their attentions to this Sunday as they host LA Micro in the B&B Intermediate Sunday cup. 


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Paid Stories

Most read

Top Ten Articles