03:30PM, Monday 16 July 2018
With no end in sight to the scorching weather, IAM RoadSmart head of driving and riding standards Richard Gladman has offered up the following advice on how to stay safe on the road and avoid being dazzled by the sun:
- Keep your windscreen clean both inside and out; a dirty screen will magnify the glare.
- On the outside check for chips or cracks, replace worn wiper blades and make sure your washer bottle is kept well topped up with good quality screen wash.
- Keep a cloth or chamois to wipe away the dirt that builds up on the inside,
- Use your sun visor. It may sound pretty obvious but a surprising number of people forget.
- Invest in polarised sunglasses and remember to take a rest. Your eyes will strain quickly if you are squinting.
If you are dazzled by the sun, slow down and leave extra space between yourself and the driver ahead. This will give you more time to regain full control and assess the situation.
Top Ten Articles