Cippenham Girls top Division 2 at halfway stage of season

Cippenham Girls sit top of Division 2 at the half-way stage of the season after swatting aside each of the teams they played at the Derby Arena this weekend.

Hannah Silcock, the team’s star ‘import’ from Jersey, produced some impeccable table tennis, with support from Rachael Iles and Anna Piercey, as the team won all five of their matches.

Silcock was named player of the match on four occasions while Piercey claimed the honour from her in the other.

The famous Ormesby club from Middlesbrough were the first team to feel the heat from the bats of the Cippenham players. Silcock got the weekend off to a great start with two victories and, while Iles and Piercey both lost to Ella Pashley, Piercey managed to bounce back from two games down to defeat Jyothi Ghanta 3-2 in the decider.

This was followed by a more comfortable 5-1 win for the club over Belfast-based Ormeau, with Silcock and Piercey both going unbeaten. Saturday’s games concluded with a 4-2 win over Draycott 3rds from Derbyshire where Silcock and Iles made up for the Piercey’s defeats to secure Cippenham maximum points.

There was no let up from Cippenham on the Sunday morning as they thrashed Sophia Gardens 6-0. Most of the team won their matches comfortably, however, Iles was made to work hard for her points by Ruby Elliott.

Cippenham then maintained their 100 per cent record with a 4-2 victory over St Neots and Silcock’s wins mean she finishes the first half of the season unbeaten. Piercey and Iles also picked up one win apiece.


The boys team couldn’t replicate the girls’ success in Division 5, however, as they finished the weekend bottom of the table following two draws and three defeats. They weren’t outplayed in any of their matches though and will be believe their slow start can be remedied in the second half of the season William Saint was their most consistent player, winning six of his eight singles matches. He won both of his matches as the team opened with a 3-3 draw against Fusion 4ths. Jamie Woodford lost both of his matches against Bribar Cleeve Park as they went down to a 4-2 defeat and the afternoon finished with another 4-2 loss, this time to St Mary’s 2nds. Having sat out the game against St Mary’s, Saint returned to action against Wood Green and his two wins against Joshua Webb and Ignats Valnuhins with augmented by Woodford’s win and a 3-3 draw to claim a second league point. The weekend finished with another 4-2 defeat to London powerhouse Greenhouse 3rds, despite the side having held a 2-0 lead after wins for Saint, over Adam Palmer, and Pranav Gudipati, over Nizar Arjaouy.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles